Thursday, September 21, 2006

Why is it...?



Why is it that I can write and think of great ideas day in and day out, but when it comes down to needing to actually churn out some decent writing I go blank? Even when I have at least 60-80% of the writing done (in various formats that need to be found and dissected and tweaked)!

In Anne Lamott's book Bird by Bird (which is all about the process of writing), she talks about how every day she sits down to write, and most days she becomes very, very interested in "gathering wool" as she puts it. Basically, having your brain go blah-de-blah-blah and finding urgent needs for you to get up and leave your writing such as multiple trips to the bathroom, cleaning little tiny details of things that you would not normally notice, or learning new stunts like balancing your pen on your finger. That's me right now. Blogging because I can't write! How stupid is that?

(I got a bee in my bonnet today to finish up an ebook idea that I had set aside. I need to finish it. It's so close I can taste it! And here I sit, one paragraph victorious at least, but the kids will be coming home in 10 minutes so my time is done for the day. All that skipping around the house cheering myself on and congratulating myself for a brilliant introduction...and now I have to wait til tomorrow. What is more likely is that right in the middle of helping someone with their homework or hearing about some social woe, I will suddenly get a HUGE burst of inspiration and have to go running to the computer to get my thoughts down before they escape......)

No comments: