Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Wednesday Morning Rant

People are so helpless, it drives me crazy.

For instance:

If I post to an egroup to answer a question and mention a particular product that I like, I can be guaranteed to get at least a few emails asking me, "Where would I buy one of those?" Apparently these people have never heard of google.

If I tell the same group about a web site, such as yesterday's Mom Product Reviews, even after all the info I gave them, PLUS the link so that they can go and read every. bit. of information. there, someone will STILL write to ME to ask, "Well, what kind of things do they want me to review? How long should it be? How do I send them my reviews? How do I contact these people?" For cryin' out loud......what has become of people?! Why don't they know how to navigate a web page, read their native language, and clickety-click with their mouse? Did they only learn email?!

In a large egroup of mine everyone is doing an internet-based business. Every post of mine ends with the same signature line that includes my name, business name, and web site. I have regularly gotten emails from people saying, "That sounds great! Do you have a web site?" My. goodness. These are people that should know to follow the signature line, seeing as how everybody of the 4000 people in the group has one!

I don't know if it's just that the internet has turned everybody's brain to much or what. It's like, if the answers don't jump right off the screen at them, they can't take 20 seconds to look around, actually read the text, and see what's what. Pitiful!

And that completes my rant for the day.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

AMEN!!!! Having a website myself with detailed FAQ's, prices etc, I regularly get emails that have come from the contact page (so they HAVE actually been on my site)
that ask-what are your prices? What's the best time for the ultrasound? What am I going to get? What do the pictures look like? Mind you there is a page with at least 10 pictures, 2 videos..... When I worked at a hospital that had MANY signs pointing people in the direction of the various units, we had people stop at the nurses station to ask where are the babies? Where is room such and such? They are almost looking right at the sign that says "NURSERY" "ROOM SUCH AND SUCH" with arrows. Then, they would follow the arrows to a double door that is closed but has signs that say "NURSERY" "ROOM SUCH AND SUCH" with arrows. They turn around and come back to the nurses station and ask if they can open that door!! Of course, we had a door in another direction that had an alarm on it that said NOT to go out that door (it actually had a key pad lock) and they would stand there and try to get out the door!!! People are certainly quite helpless! I often wonder how they have lived as long as they have.