Monday, September 11, 2006

Am I The Only One?

Am I the only one that doesn't want to relive the 9-11 tragedy? The only one that doesn't want to drag up sad stories? Yes, I think we need to remember what happened on that day, and certainly those that were injured and died that day should be remembered as well. But a lot of what I'm seeing seems to almost cheapen the memory of people (using their stories to get us all crying, for instance).

What I wish people would get out of 9-11 is that there are brave, giving people in your community that would make the same courageous choices on your behalf as those that died that day. So many communities want to make a big spectacle when a police officer or firefighter dies in the line of duty, yet it is also very common that the same people and government organizations will not spend the money BEFORE a tragedy to AVOID a tragedy. We appreciate these people after something terrible happens and they die, but we don't appreciate them enough beforehand to pay them enough, give them safe equipment, or give them a really good work environment. That's not enough appreciation as far as I'm concerned.

You want to honor the people that died on 9-11? Do what you can to help your local firefighters and police to get the raises they deserve, the training they need, and the equipment they should have. Drop by with a few pizzas, gas gift cards, or homemade cookies and pictures that your kids made. When the Girl Scouts sell cookies next winter, order some extra boxes and take them by the fire station to say Thank You. Do something selfless for somebody who needs your help. Maybe it's an elderly neighbor or a helpless child or somebody hungry that lives on the street. Do something that helps you have to give without getting anything in return, including the admiration of others.

No amount of money or equipment would have saved the rescue personnel that died on 9-11, and there were plenty of other courageous people who weren't emergency service workers that also lost their lives that day. There are tons of husbands, wives, parents, children, friends, and relatives who are still hurting from their losses. To me, memory is good, but moving on with renewed appreciation that makes us live our lives in a better way is worth a lot more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, you are not the only one. I have tried to stay away from the news today. If, God forbid, I had lost someone in that tragedy...I would hate really hate to see this day coming. A wife's unmasked grief does not need to be splattered across a television.

Marilyn said...

I have a different take on the 9/11 commemorations. I think that it is vital to remember the CAUSE of the 9/11 tragedy and remember that these people that caused the death and destruction of thousands of lives are still out there cutting off people's heads with butter knives, blowing up other cities,working their terror. These people want to KILL US!! I actually have recorded the 9/11 programming so that I can watch it at a time that I can cry watching people jumping out of buildings, frantic calls from cell phones for help, the panic of those who were separated from their children, not knowing if they were dead or alive. I never want to forget what happened that day. I think that the documentaries should be shown at least annually to young people from Jr. High up. We need to have them to understand our enemies are real, they were there on 9/11, they are here now, plotting their next attack. We cannot let down our guard. If it takes watching this over and over to get the citizens of this country to wake up I'm all for it. I think back to the week following the attacks. Everyone's flag was flying, flags on cars, everyone pulling together. How quickly we forget!!