Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Journey of a Thousand Miles.....



Well, my kids have all been in school for three weeks now, and I've spent close to every available hour working on business stuff. While I've made great progress and even earned some money, my new sedentary lifestyle has already found me gaining weight. One of my back-to-school resolutions was that I would start working out and losing weight, but of course in the frenzy to work on business stuff I just hadn't gotten started yet.

One of the hardest things about working from home is that there are no built-in parameters. I can do whatever aspects of my business ventures or homemaking or hobbying or whatever I choose, but enforcing any sort of balance is up to me. And that's something I typically struggle with.

I actually had to remind myself that even if I end up with successful businesses that brings in thousands upon thousands of dollars a month, if I am still this fat in a month or a year, I would be very, very unhappy. I am now at about the fattest I've been, save post partum. This is definitely the maximum yukk I can afford to let myself get to.

So, today I took the first step and joined my local fitness center. Yes, I could have technically exercised at home, but I wouldn't have done it. There are too many distractions, too many people carrying off my weights, phone calls coming in, etc. etc. I know that for right now I need to go away from here and be focused on a workout. It's only $20 a month, 2 minutes from my house, clean and nice and not much of a crowd during the daytime hours.

I exceeded my goals for day one by doing all the machines at respectable weights and reps (I was told I was already stronger than most women that come in there, which maybe isn't saying much, but I'll take my happy moments where I can get them) PLUS did 40 minutes of cardio, when I thought I'd be dying after 15.

I have solid time that I can do work out 4-5 days a week and that is what I plan to do.

I was kind of nervous to get over there for the first time, but am really glad I finally took the leap. I am looking forward to looking and feeling better, and getting closer to creating some sort of balance for myself between being a work-at-home mom and taking care of myself.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Congratulations! Working out reguarly is a huge investment in ourselves, which in turn helps everyone around us.