Thursday, September 28, 2006

It Went OUT a Looooong Time Ago!

You know, back in the day when lots of people were computer newbies, it was understandable that they didn't know any better than the thrill of passing on the forwarded emails. I did it myself, and eventually learned how much people resent getting forwards, and about snopes.com.

I have two people in my life that. One is an actual computer expert, and the other is a PhD candidate. Both seem to have missed the memo that sending an excessive amount of forwards if annoying.

The one, a sweet woman that I never knew well, sends me those crap "it's friendship day" "girlfriend day"**and "pass this on to 20 friends in the next 5 minutes and then you'll get a miracle" type things. Now whenI see an email from her I delete it without even looking.

The other, a distant relative by marriage, seems to think she knows my political leanings though we've never discussed such a thing and she barely knows me since we've only spent time together probably 5 times in 15 years. She sends me a bunch of policial activist crap that I have no interest in either. But does she ever send a personal email to say hi? Nope.

And so there is the dilemma. Do we keep being the wimpy recipient, weeding out the wheat from the chaff in our inbox? Or do we risk offending the offenders by telling them that we don't want their stinkin forwards any more?

Once upon a time when I was going through an extremely stressful and difficult time in my life, two people I knew had put me on their email forwarding list. Both were deeply involved in their branch of politics and feel strongly in people needing to be atively involved in politics. The emails they sent were very forceful and presumptuous and I found them offensive and rude. I wrote polite emails to each, explaining that I was going through a very difficult time and had no energy for such emails and that I would like to not receive them any more. One person seemed to feel snubbed, the other sent me an entire SERMON (written by herself) about how political ambivalence was sinful and I was playing right into the hands of the devil by not wanting to get all of her forwards and do what they told me to do. I ignored that, and she kept on with the emails. I actually banned her from my inbox so that I never saw any of her emails again. Buh-bye!

It's amazing how people will behave.

What do you do about junk forwards?

** If she were actually a real friend of mine some of this might be fine every now and then. Any actual friend of mine would know that I would not enjoy those. haha

4 comments:

Mimi said...

People who send me forwards that actually apply to me, and who keep in regular contact are fine, but DO NOT send me every thing that crosses your desk. I will NOT send it back to you, or on to my 10 closest friends. Gah.

Amie said...

I was finally at a point where I was rarely getting a forward, than I came into contact with an old friend and boy is she a forwarder! The annoying thing is that I will see my inbox full and get excited only to find they are ALL stinkin forwards from the same person.

One Hot Mama said...

I constantly get forwards from my preceptor that are forwards of forwards of forwards.... ad infinitum so that if I really want to see what it is, I have to open and open and open and open. how can she not know to just forward the intial one and not the entire string?? Arrgh!

Then I still get the "The satanists want to charge $.05 for every email that mentions God, and if you sign this petition against them, Bill Gates will give you a new laptop, and if you forward this to your top ten friends, your biggest wish will come true and God will bless your vegetable garden."

~B said...

Oh!! I hate forwards too! I guess to keep the peace, I would just ignore them, that's what I do. My mother in law used to send me more than 10 a day and it drove me nuts!! I just ignore them now, but they still irk me! ~B