Tuesday, June 13, 2006

End of the Spear--Movie Review


Today the End of the Spear movie is out on DVD and we got it from Netflix. I've been familiar with this basic story for a long time, but only since the whole hullabaloo about the lead actor in EOTP did I decide to learn more. Months ago we got Through The Gates of Splendor (also from Netflix) which is the telling of the same story, but in more of a documentary format, with original home movies, and interviews with various family members.

I really expected to love End of the Spear since so many people spoke out about how wonderfully done it was. However, I didn't.

Contrary to what I had heard about it, the movie does not clearly tell the gospel story, indeed never even tells that the men are Christian missionaries. Some of the most key elements of the story are completely left out of EOTS.

If you're interested in learning more about this story of the 5 young missionary men that were murdered while trying to reach a new group of people, check out Through the Gates of Splendor. It tells the story much better and really got to my heart a lot more than End of the Spear.

3 comments:

Dollymama said...

I've never read the book but now that you mention it, I would like to.

Randi said...

I haven't seen the movie but I love "Through Gates of Slendor", it is a wonderful, inspirational book!

Anonymous said...

Many Christians mistakingly think the gospel has been "watered-down" or left out of the movie altogether. After reading interviews with Steve Saint, we find that isn't true. The gospel was presented exactly the way the movie portrays. The depth of the gospel is not talked about or read, it's lived out in these christian's lives! This is the mistake many Christians make - we read the gospel but we don't LIVE it out! This movie inspired me to begin living according to what I believe. I hope it does the same for others.