Sunday, June 11, 2006

Doing Nothing?



On a blog I sometimes visit a woman commented about women that stay at home full time. Particularly in the case of single women or childless women, she seemed to think that staying home was "basically doing nothing all day long." Wow! I think this woman is not alone in that assumption. Here were some of my thoughts on the subject:

I have been a stay at home mother for the past (nearly) 14 years. I have never been accused of basically doing nothing. :)

I think that today many people do not realize how many things of value and beauty are done at home.

If you homeschool or have small children then that takes up a ton of time and energy. If you don't, there is still a ton to do if you are industrious. Here is a list of stuff that I have done from home other than homeschooling:

Baked homemade bread and other baked goods (my husband is sometimes the "envy" of the men he works with because not too many women do such things)

House projects such as painting, sanding, gardening, canning, learning to make healthier foods, organizing, and so forth.

Personal interest things like reading, exercise, visiting with friends, hospitality, serving others with meals or help when in need.

Money making ventures such as starting and running my own businesses, writing (both for fun and profit), selling things on ebay, etc.

Learning things: I have learned so much over the years because of the time at home that I've had to read and study. I have tons more I want to learn, too. Almost all of it can be done either from home or because of my schedule because I am home.

Certainly the making of a home to be cozy, welcoming, warm, and well kept is not easy. It takes skill, thought, and hard work. I have far to go.

I have TONS more that I look forward to doing as a homemaker. Some of my current wishes include:

Writing books, learning to stencil and then using that skill around the home, improving our garden and therefore saving us money and increasing the healthfulness of our food, learning more about natural health and eventually becoming a doctor of naturopathy, then using these skills both to benefit my own family and teach my children but also to help others with their health needs.

I have so many ideas and projects I am looking forward to do, and none of these even mentions all the stuff I do and want to do with and for my children. (I left those out since the question was more about single women)

I am not of the mindset that young women need to always stay at home, but I think many people have no idea of all the useful, interesting things to do from home, so here I am.

Recently I was talking to my younger sister. She is in her late 20s and is single and has a career. She worked hard to get through college and earned two master's degrees. This is her first big career job and she is extremely busy with it and travels half of the month, etc. It is a real, big time career.

I was talking to her about our current very strained financial situation and how my husband and I had discussed the possibility of me needing to get a job, and how we decided to try to put more energy into some of my current home business and other enterprises instead. It was interesting to me that her comment was something like, "If you don't have to get a job, DON'T! It is so hard to have to do what your boss wants you to do and have to play games all the time and jockey for the right positions in the workplace." She went on to tell me many unglamorous aspects of her career and how disheartening it can be.

Interesting.

At home I'm the queen of my castle and have so many opportunities to bless and be blessed. I am sure that if I had to work outside the home there would be different opportunities also. I am not doubting that. I am just thankful that so far I can be at home, and I am trying to be as resourceful and industrious as I can be while I'm here. I love being home and feel rather spoiled to be able to do so. Very few women I know are able to do it. I am blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again, thank you for the advice. To be honest, as I read the advice from other ladies I was feeling worse and worse! I just wanted to make a sanctuary for my husband to come home to...I did't think I was being selfish...although that seemed to be the general opinion. Also, my work right now is to be a homemaker...and I do take that seriously...just as my Precious One takes his work seriously. Your comments were great...and I will definitely put them into action! Perhaps, at some point you could post some pictures of your own home? It sound simple, but very nice and homey! As a country girl...I definitely appreciate that!

Randi said...

I love staying home with my kids and homeschooling! Honestly, it gives me a lot of freedom to do things and to learn. I am almost never doing "nothing" because of the things that need to be done in order to afford staying home (like homemade meals). I really wouldn't want to live my life any other way!

Dollymama said...

HI Katy

Glad you came on over. I felt that you might be feeling a little "hand-slapped" in the comments and so I wanted to give you some actual creative help. I hope you can figure out some ways to find a happy medium.

You are not selfish for wanting to make a sanctuary. it's just important to remember that part of a santuary being just that is that the people there make you feel relaxed and wanted. :) The first santuary should be your loving attitude. :)

You mentioned you are newly married and it made me wonder how old your husband is. I was just watching the first video in the Love and Respect (link to the side) conference and he mentions how young men and women are so very different in their maturity levels and readiness for marriage. Young men are not known for being the neatest, most sensitive people on earth. :)

I do have some home pictures scattered throughout the archives. Maybe I will offer a visual home tour one of these days. We don't have anything fancy. I just try to keep things really simple/plain because of the kids. It's more sparse than a lot of people would enjoy, but I'd rather have that than be frustrated and have broken stuff or have to run after the kids and make them not play.

Randi--I hear ya! When my husband and I have talked about me maybe getting a job, I feel very sad and sinking in my gut. I want to be able to stay home. Conversations like this one remind me of more ways I could be more of an asset at home, though. It's easy to get in a rut and not do as many nice things as I could do.