Saturday, August 16, 2008

It's That Time of Year Again...My Kids Just Keep Getting Older


My oldest...he's 16 today! Wow. You can read his birth story over at The Baby Boutique Blog.
You can read about his 15th birthday here, his 14th birthday here, and the quite amusing and interesting saga surrounding his 13th birthday in Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, and finally, Part 7.
(**Oh my goodness. I haven't looked at my archives for a really long time. I have seriously amused myself with reading my own writing tonite! I think I am my biggest fan....)

Back to the issue at hand: I now have a 16 year old.

I don't fear the driving. He's going to do great. I am looking forward to all of the fun of teaching him how to drive.

What I want to say to you is what everybody says: They grow up so quickly.

For me, what I didn't realize about that is how early they start to grow up and away. It's long before they turn 18. Long before 16, too. I thought I would have a lot more time, but I've had much less of it than I expected to.

Children *should* be growing up and out and onto their own lives. I don't regret that. It just really does go quickly. And when I see my child turning into an ultra-cool person, I don't want him to go up, up, and away too fast. You know?

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Happy Birthday to your handsome young man! Many Years!

Amie said...

Happy Birthday! What a milestone. He reminds me of the guy who is going to play Edward in "Twilight".