Thursday, August 16, 2007

He's another year older....

He's 15 today. What's up with that?! One minute you're 21 and having your first child....the next thing you know you've got gray hairs and the kid is looking like a man. Weird.

Honestly, though, I have a secret to tell you. Those early teen years were rather sullen, but for the past month or so he has been the most delightful that he's been probably since he was 8 years old or something. He's happy, friendly, seems to enjoy his younger siblings more, voluntarily talks and hangs out with both me and my husband quite a lot, brings his friends around very often, handles his household responsibilities without a problem (mostly), and is just a really cool guy. I always knew he was cool, but it's nice that he's so friendly lately. I hope it lasts...

We'll be celebrating his birthday tomorrow with friends coming home after school to play Halo 2 and have one of their ADHD jam sessions. (They all bring their guitars and amps, then proceed to crank it up, each playing the few bars of whatever song they know, over and over again, with no rhyme or reason to it. I hope that someday they will all learn to play the same song at the same time, but I am enjoying my chance to witness their progression. It's some good people-watching, from the comfort of my own home.) Pizza and homemade ice cream cake are on the party menu. (no health food, though. I'm sure they'll be heartbroken.)

Since I know someone will want to know about the homemade ice cream cake, here's the info on that. We adapted this from the Duggar's ice cream cake recipe.

In a 13x9 pan put ice cream sandwiches side by side to cover the bottom. Spread chocolate cool whip over these, then sprinkle oreo cookie crumbs, and drizzle chocolate syrup on that. Then do another layer of ice cream sandwiches, cool whip, cookie crumbs, and syrup. Freeze until ready to serve.

Super easy, and VERY yummy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to the fifteen year old...and the mom of the fifteen year old. :)

Mimi said...

Happy Birthday to your son, and to you on your anniversary of becoming a mom!

(what's with those grey hairs? I have them too)