Sunday, August 05, 2007

Once Upon a Family

As I've been working through my list of things that make me feel bad because I haven't tackled them yet, one that's been sticking in my craw is this one. I agreed to do a product review for Once Upon a Family.....almost a year ago. (hiding my head in shame.....)

I share that very humiliating fact with you only to explain what took so long. It's not how busy I was. It was more like this:

How often do you start looking through a catalog and find yourself moved to tears because of the beautiful products and vision that the company is offering? For me, never! Until Once Upon a Family came along.

OUAF rep Amy Gill kindly sent me their catalog and some of their products for me to look over. Right from the start I could see that this company has something really, really special to offer.

Not too many of us need more shoes, shirts, or toys. Our kids don't need more ballet lessons or soccer games. But one thing most of us could use more is family connections, family traditions, and a tangible way to remember our journey together as a family.

And Once Upon a Family offers that to you.

Wow.

Every time I've thought about getting started on this review, I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it justice, so I'd put it off some more. And then, you know, nobody even hears about it from me. So, the time is now.

Once Upon a Family has some of the most beautiful, thoughtful products for building family traditions, cherishing childhood memories, staying in touch, family celebrations, family values, and more.

One of the coolest things they have that I think will especially appeal to scrapbookers, is their Live, Laugh, Love Club. This is a program where you can get together a regular group of women from your church, neighborhood, family, etc. and do a monthly project that will help teach family values and preserve family memories. What a great idea for an inexpensive and completely worthwhile Mom's Night Out hobby! (only $12 a month!!)

Here's some info from the web site:

Live, Laugh, Love I workshops focus on the upcoming holiday, a cherished family value and an important keepsake project. The January Workshop, for example, is about Valentine's Day and Gifts of Love. You will read about and understand the 5 Languages of Love, create a Love Journal for someone you cherish, and take home the Hearts of Loving Kindness tradition to start with your own family. You do not need to complete these workshops in any order. You may start with Level I or Level II. It's up to you!

Live, Laugh, Love II workshops focus on a cherished family value and an important family celebration: Weddings, Birthdays, New Babies, Graduations, Family Reunions, etc. The January Workshop, for example, is about Anniversaries and Respect. You will read a short article which will cause you to think about how to show and teach Respect at home; you will write a letter to someone whom you hold in high esteem, you will fill in a "Story of My Life" booklet to pass on to future generations, and take home 3 "Love Puzzle" cards to do at home with your loved ones.

Once Upon a Family is not only a wonderful company to support with your purchasing power, but it offers a wonderful consultant program as well. Rep Amy Gill shared with me,

I am looking for like-minded women to join my team to help me spread the mission that it is the little things that we take the time to do now is what is going to matter in 20 years.

My daughter was very ill and almost died (15mths) and I realized that all that I was busy with wasn't important. Once Upon A Family was just beginning and I heard their mission and signed before there was product. I travel and speak, do home parties, speak to moms, women's ministries, and teach PTA that we need to get back to the basics. I don't want a mom out there to have to go through what I went through in order to learn that. If I can help bring one new tradition into a home that will bring that family closer together than I have not wasted the gift God has given me.


Amen, Amy!
Honestly, after looking over this catalog and the product samples, I feel confident in telling you that this is one of the most worthwhile ventures I have ever had the pleasure of learning about. Spread the word!

No comments: