Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Year of Magical Thinking (a book review)

Life changes fast.
Life changes in the instant.
You sit down to dinner and life as you know it ends.
The question of self-pity.


I had never heard of Joan Didion until I read an interview with her from the New York Times, concerning her new book, The Year of Magical Thinking. It's a book she wrote about the first year after her husband died.

Didion and John Gregory Dunne were married for 39 years, and during that time were basically inseperable. The were both writers who worked from home, each always available to the other for editing and feedback of their current work.

One evening at the end of 2003 Didion and her husband were chatting as she prepared dinner. One minute he was talking, the next minute he was gone.

Her style here is a raw method of sharing her grief, her confusion, her ways of thinking about this sudden, extreme void in her life, and it is very powerful.

She recalls their life and their love with fondness and simplicity, while still bringing across how BIG it all was. Her loss made me ache.

I know I can't top the other reviews I've read, so I'll direct you to those. The Year of Magical Thinking is worth a read, even if, like me, you have yet to face a huge loss in your own life. This book is one that made me think I was glad I have read it and know about it, because I have a feeling that someday I'll need it again.

Here is an essay taken from the book.
Here is an excellent review.
And here is a brand new article about the broadway version of the book, expected in 2007.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dollymama must not remember high school English class! A Mrs. K talked AT LENGTH about Joan Didion. Did I imagine this? I thought we had to read some short story. My memory (and time) has blanked out everything but the name... am I crazy?

Dollymama said...

Huh. I have no recollection of this, but after having read this book I do plan to read some of her other work as well, so maybe I will come across something that reminds me.

I thought I paid attention in that class, but the only things that truly stuck with me are the 10-page paper we had to write, and the fact that she pronounced apartheid with the "th" sound. UGH! Oh, and the rapidly-fluttering eyelids....

Mimi said...

I posted a comment, but I may have lost it, or I may double post. If so, please accept my apologies.

Joan Didion wrote a book of short stories called "Slouching Towards Bethlehem" which I've not read, but you may have in High School, it seems ;)

I read a lengthy article about her new book in the NY Times and I look forward to reading it. There've been several deaths in my family in recent years, and I think parts of it will really ring true for me.

Glad you enjoyed the book. A musical version sounds a bit scary, though.

Dollymama said...

Mimi,
If you read it I would enjoy hearing what you thought about it!

Yesterday I requested several books by Joan didion through inter-library loan. Looks to be very interesting! She has one called Vintage Didion that is sort of a sampler of several of her works. I am looking forward to checking out her work. I also have one requested by her husband.

I love serendipidy!