Wednesday, December 28, 2005

So I've been writing a magazine article....

A few months ago a query I submitted to a magazine for an article was accepted, and so of course I didn't get around to writing the article, and now here I am just days away from the deadline. Other than the threats of the IRS audit and possible holiday house guests, getting this article done has been one of my very big stress factors lately. I've been dreading it by day and by night, feeling nervous, as if I've never written anything before, and wondering when I was going to have some clear time to get this writing done. As my husband pointed out, I seem to have no trouble writing for my blog during the day with children underfoot, so why couldn't I get my article done too? Well, quite simply, when I write for this blog I write what's on my mind, not for an assignment. Furthermore, I don't have to turn in my work to an editor, and thousands upon thousands of people aren't going to be reading what I write here.

So I was holding out for some magical time when my husband would run interferance for several hours and I could think in peace, and of course that is a joke because he is working all the time, and when he is home he rather likes my attention.

A couple nights ago I remembered a very good thing that I read awhile back. The concept is that if you are dreading something, to go ahead and get it done first thing. It's usually not as bad as you think it'll be, and at least once it's done you don't have your energy getting sucked out of you by worry and dread. Oh how I wish I had remembered this a couple weeks ago!

So, that night I sat down with a copy of the magazine I am writing for and read through a lot of it to remind myself of the "feel" of this publication. Then I jotted down a couple ideas about how I wanted my article to come across. And I went to bed.

Yesterday I woke up full of inspiration. I ran back and forth between keyboard and children for the entire day, making meals and then getting as much writing done as I could. It was fabulous to have ideas and a direction for the writing to flow. Unfortunately, all the interruptions made me feel very edgy because I felt concerned that I was going to forget all my great ideas while having to wipe a child's butt or make sandwiches. Once my husband got home he joined in with "helping" by allowing the children to run up and down the hallway outside where I was working, and coming in every so often to ask me, "So are you done yet?"

UGH!

I realized that it would be very hard for me to be a writer from home. All the cards are stacked against me here. I love it when I have really good ideas, and being able to hold on to them long enough to get them out. But having people get in my way when I have that urge is so aggravating. I have no idea how other women manage to write at home. Maybe they have considerate family members who understand that they cannot come into her writing space during working hours. Oh how that idea appeals to me!

Oh well.

The good news is that my article is just about done. I've got a few more days to look it over and tweak it before turning it in. Then, hopefully, I'll become a published author, which will be really fun! I feel so much lighter just having this out of the way.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Congratulations on finishing the article! Will you keep us posted?

I can't imagine working from home, by the way! And I have 1/3 as many children as you.