Wednesday, December 28, 2005

customer service is dead

The other day I was doing some research about a trip that we might like to take. I had gone to the web site and looked around, but didn't see any info on accomodations for families as large as mine. I decided to click on their Live Help Chat service to get my questions answered. Here's what I got instead (cut and paste right from the chat session):

Me: Hi. What accomodations do you have for a family of 8?

HELN: WHEN DID YOU WANT TO ARR

Me: Well, right now I am just collecting information. I don't have a date set. Maybe in Feb, though.

HELN: IN ORDER TO GIVE YOY PRICES I NEED TO KNOW THE DATE

HELN: AND HOW MANY ADULTS AND CHILDREN

Me: Well I would like to know what accomodations you have more than the price. So far what I see on the web site is for up to 5 people.

Me: 2 adults, 6 children

HELN: I NEED A DATE TO SEE IF WE HAVE RMS AVAIL

Me(wondering what on earth is wrong with this person): ok so are you not willing to tell me what kind of spaces you have for families of this size?

HELN: WE HAVE SEVERAL DIF TYPE OF UNITS-HOW MANY BEDS OR RMS ARE YOU LOOKING FOR

Me (why does this person make it so difficult?!): Well...enough for 8 people, I guess. It could be 3 bedrooms or more depending on how many beds and the sizes of them I suppose.

Me (seeing that HELN isn't going to help me): Is there someplace on your web site where I can see examples of what's available? so far I don't see info for units this size.

HELN: I CAN'T GET PRICES UNLESS I HAVE A DATE TO SEE WHAT IS AVAIL

Me: I have told you I don't need the prices. I want to know about the units. The sizes. how many beds. Where are they located in relation to the ocean. That type of thing.

HELN: YOU CAN GO TO WWW.my website.COM LOOK AT PROPERTY MAP AND RM DESCRIPTIONS

Me (I go an find that the property map only tells names of buildings. On the room description page I search around until I finally find what I'm looking for): OK. I see now that you could have directed me to the" larger suites" to get the information I need.

Me (and now I'm annoyed that this person wouldn't just tell me the information or even what to look for on the web site): How can I contact your manager?

HELN: PLS CALL ME AT 1-800-732-**** I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU

Right-o, HELN. You weren't the least bit of help to me so far. Why would I think you'd help me on the phone?

Since HELN wasn't willing to give me the number of her manager, I went to the "contact us" section of their site and sent a message (plus the copy of the chat session) to let them know about my disappointing experience with dear HELN. I got a reply and supposedly HELN's manager will be getting the full story. Sorry, HELN, but I don't think customer service is your calling.

No comments: