Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Mr. and Mrs. Smith--a movie review

It's not a funny movie. It's not a clever movie. It's not an exciting movie. It's not a sexy movie. It's a boring, stupid, who-cares kind of movie. Two thumbs waaaaay down from DollyMama and the Firecrapper!

For those of you who prefer a more long-winded review, I won't let you down.

The other night my husband came home with Mr. and Mrs. Smith, thinking that a movie would be a nice thing for me while I was sick. I hadn't heard a thing about this movie, other than that it's the vehicle by which Brad and Angelina got together. After watching the movie, I think it's safe to say that their relationship is the only noteworthy thing about it.

The movie doesn't have a terrible premise, and with two talented actors like Pitt and Jolie one would think it would be pretty good. Sadly, somewhere along the editing, story writing, or producing of this movie, somebody screwed up really bad.

I don't have the energy to go into the whole story line, but the places where I felt the movie most failed was

1. It fails to make the viewer see value in the relationship, so we never care what happens to it. When John and Jane are eventually trying to kill each other, there was no impulse to care which one lived or died, or if they learned the truth about each other. Once they decide to work together, there's a similar lack lack of interest in whether or not that works.

2. The shoot-out scenes in their house are not interesting, not clever, and were totally over-the-top ridiculous.

My husband and I have sat through some loser movies over the years. Some of the most-hated, and most-joked-about movies we've survived include Kavik the Wolf Dog, Lost in Translation, The Life Aquatic, I Dreamed of Africa, and Howard's End. Typically we will sit through even a total snooze of a movie, hoping against all hope that somehow the ending will tie it all together and make the time spent watching worthwhile. This time, we didn't even stick in for the end. We just. didn't. care.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally was AMAZED at the amount of firepower in that movie. i mean, Angelina holding and using 2 weapons at a time?

I thought it was gratuitously violent. I have a pretty low threshhold for it.

Dollymama said...

You know, the violence didn't even phase me. Maybe because nobody ever gets hurt with all those weapons....?

The stupidity of it overwhelmed every other aspect for me.

Anne, have you read The Year of Magical Thinking yet? I thought of you when reviewing it and thought you might want to check it out sometime in the next several months....