Sunday, December 18, 2005

No Church on Christmas

So you may have heard the flap about how some churches are choosing to not hold services on December 25 this year. What do you think about that?

Interestingly, for my whole life I have known of churches not having Sunday night or Wednesday night services because of holidays, and I don't recall anybody having a problem with that. But take away a Sunday morning service and ----woo hoo!---watch out! That's so baaaad.......

I go to a small baby church (a little over a year old, and under 100 people usually) and at the start of the church it was decided that we only meet 51 Sundays per year. The idea is that the last Sunday of the year is a day off. It's a day off for all the people that work every week. They can take time to travel to see family or whatever and not feel bad that they are not "on duty." It's simply a way to say thank you. (Similarly, we also take the summers off from certain things that we offer, in order to not burn out our workers, and to give them a school-year length of time to commit to a job, rather than feeling that there is no good ending point if they need to make a change.)

Also, our church has a focus on the parents being the main unit for spiritual growth and responsibility in each family, and the church acts as a support for that. So, to not offer a Sunday service doesn't mean we're left without anything spiritual for that week. It means that each family is still responsible for their own thing, but the support team is having one week off.

So, anyhow, in the case of this year, our week off falls on Christmas. Our church didn't make a decision based on trendiness or social pressure. It's just a coincidence.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this whole uproar:

One the one hand:

If Christmas is really all about focusing on Jesus and not about gifts and all of that, then it seems like a very incompatible position to say that we are not going to have church because we do not want to interrupt anybody's nice morning at home sitting around the tree opening their presents.

On the other hand:

Maybe we need to be sensitive to the fact that people who work at the church would like to be able to have a day off on a holiday like Christmas.
(If I was a church worker and had church on Christmas day, I'd do Christmas at my house a day early. Simple!)

If our church offered a Sunday service on Christmas this year, I think that we probably would attend. Not because I'd feel guilty if I didn't go. And not because I like to think of December 25th as Jesus' actual birthday (which I do not). But because we love our church and we get so much from what we learn and do there every week. We'd go because our kids are learning how to give back and help by taking down chairs and stage stuff after the service. We go because we would enjoy seeing our friends there and taking little gifts and cards to let people know how much we appreciate their part in our church and our life. Instead, we did all that today and told everybody we'd see them in the new year. Good 'nuff!

On the other hand, maybe we don't really believe what we say we believe about Christmas, but don't have the guts to admit it.

Last year I wrote about my feelings about Christmas, and my opinion hasn't changed. Here's a reprint from 2004:

I'm feeling a little bit bah-humbug-y myself. I was thinking so gleefully of how I was not running the pre-Christmas rat race since I had to have all of my stuff done by the 16th, just happy as a clam to Have It All Over With. More than one person shared my sentiment. And then it occurred to me that I don't even think of Christmas as a religious holiday. I mean, I acknowledge it as such. I'm a Christian and so I believe in Jesus' birth and so on. But, Christmas is just so far removed from that for me. It's a family holiday, and I think that I was brought up to think of it that way. In my husband's family they always went to Christmas Eve service at church. Mine always went to my Grandparent's house to have dinner and exchange gifts with our extended family. My childhood Christmas Eves are some of my best memories and I have no inclination to go to a church service instead. It just seems wrong to me. Seems like it doesn't fit with my internal sense of what the holiday is for.

As a child and teenager it seemed to me that although everybody at church said the stuff about Jesus is the Reason for the Season, that it was kind of a lame cover up for what it really was: Stuff Fest 1985!! or whenever. In other words, to my way of thinking, there is almost no connection between Christ's birth and what we Americans do for Christmas. Yes, Christ was born, I am glad, but it was not in December, and us getting all frazzled for a month and spending tons of money buying each other things and stuffing ourselves full of unhealthy treats has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Some people would feel bad about this, but I'm not sure that I do. To me it seems that Christmas is a runaway train and nothing I am going to do is going to stop it. So, fine. I can choose to embrace it as a family holiday in which we make strides to spend time with those we love, and give them gifts as tokens of our esteem.

As for Jesus' birth, those of us who believe in Him can choose to be thankful and aware of what His coming to earth means to us all year long.

It seems that some people feel guilty if we don't keep "enough" Christ in our Christmas, yet I can't recall anything in the Bible that would compell us to celebrate His birth in a specific way. Maybe this is just because we celebrate so many less important things, that we feel kind of guilty and think that we need to have a big Yay Jesus blowout once a year. Don't send me all the links to the origins of Christmas. I've heard it all before. I don't see any reason to be down on Christmas per se, I am just trying to come to grips with my feeling that it is family-oriented rather than Jesus-oriented in my life.

What do you folks think? Does Christmas have a deep spiritual significance to you? If yes, what makes it so? Anybody feeling something like I do, thinking that it almost makes more sense to separate the holiday and the Christ? I'd love to get some feedback.

I have found myself thinking about last year's post several times this December, plus thinking about how big an issue even saying "Merry Christmas" verses "Happy Holidays" has gotten. This is stuff I just can't muster up any fire for.

To me, Happy Holidays acknowledges that there is more than one holiday going on right around now. For me, the ones I celebrate are Christmas and New Year. I find nothing offensive about someone saying "Happy Holidays!" Some people seem to just love getting their knickers in a twist about it though. I suppose that they don't want anybody to consider Channukah or Kwanza or whatever. Well, you know what? I don't feel threatened by any of those things. If somebody I meet is celebrating their birthday I say "Happy Birthday!" to them. And if they are celebrating Channukah or Kwanza, hey--I hope they have a nice time of it. Why not wish they a happy holiday? Be happy! Happiness all around! And if they wish me happiness as I celebrate my holidays, I appreciate that! Thanks, neighbor!

It seems to me that all of these end-of-the-year holidays are primarily about family and friends, so why do we feel like we have to pretend it's something else? Frankly, it's hard for me to imagine that God or Jesus appreciates any of the stuff we do at this time of year. How on earth can a tree in our living room, lights on our houses, and spending money on STUFF and eating what we have no need for possibly be helpful to God? Puh-leeze! It's a party for YOU and your family and friends, and that's the truth of it. Know what?--that's ok! You're allowed to have a party! You're allowed to decorate! You can eat, drink, and be merry, and shower the people you love with love (thank you, James Taylor). You can (and should!) even be thankful to God for blessing you with the people in your life, and for the provision that allows you to guy gifts and extra special food! You can do it all without guilt, and not do some big Jesusfication about it. Heck--we do this kind of thing for New Year's Eve, Superbowl Sunday, Halloween, birthdays, and the 4th of July, all without guilt or felt need to pretend it's all for Jesus.

It seems to me that the Christmas season is evolving into one step farther away from the religious holiday it supposedly should be. Now it's a political thing as well. It's amazing how much people can stink things up, isn't it?

I've been working on this post for a pretty long time, and don't feel like I'm doing a great job of expressing myself very well. I feel rusty on the thoughtful blogging, probably because I've done so little of it these days. If you enjoy doing up your christmas-as-Jesus'-birth, and truly feel that's what it's all about, I think that's just fine. I know that a lot of people find a lot of spiritual meaning in the Christmas season. Any season that you can grow spiritually is a good one, I guess. I'm just offering some food for thought.

13 comments:

Heth said...

A lot of great points in that post Dolly, these are some of the same things I have been thinking about this year.

I'm also not getting all worked up about the Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays deal. I'm just doing what I do every year and wishing people a Merry Christmas with a smile.

Willow said...

I dunno. I think it should be offered, but there are those that will want to stay home. They shouldn't be admonished for it though.

And I don't get my panties all in a wad as to Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays, etc. either. It's just not worth it honestly. There are different faiths and everyone needs to be tolerant of that. Forcing anyone to think either way is just self-defeating. (Ok, that's not the word I'm looking for, but I think you know what I mean.)

Dollymama said...

You know, Goob, the thing I was thinking is that even if my church is closed on Christmas, I can go someplace else. Most churches will have Christmas carols to sing and a sermon related to Jesus' birth to hear...... Maybe we should economize and have half the churches close every other year, since all the services are basically the same. ;)

Dollymama said...

Heth,
I always say Merry Christmas, too. But I can tell you that it really rubs me the wrong way to think that people might assume I am making some political statement by saying that. Almost makes me want to start saying Happy Holidays instead. :)

Allison,
I guess I'm in the very unique position of knowing that my church didn't call off services for a popular reason, but just because that's the way we do things regardless of what day the last Sunday of the year falls upon.

I think that if I felt my church had done that to be trendy that I would be kind of turned off. Knowing the reasons behind it makes me confortable.

I just think it's interesting that people are so upset about churches closing, and aren't willing to admit how far from Jesus their whole Christmas shin-dig really is.

~B said...

Our pastor addressed this yesterday, we go to a laid back church,he's a really laid back guy, not the type to stuff it in a person's face about not having Christmas on Sunday, but he actually did say something right at the end of his sermon, that this was not the day to be cancelling a service, since it happens so very few times (the last time their was a Christmas Day on Sunday was in '94.) After hearing him, it made me think that that's the ONE Sunday that they SHOULD be open, that and Easter.... Also, he mentioned that if we close Jesus up in a box and focus on our presents, that we are really missing the point. I'm just rambling.... but in my head I make sense! :)

Christmas morning, is to me, for families, BUT when it falls on a Sunday, it's for the creator of Family (and I"m not a church Nazi either, we miss plenty of church!) :)

Another thing, last week,before we heard our pastors spin on it, myhubby and I were discussing if we should go or not, then later our daughter who is 6 came and asked me why we wouldn't go to church, since it IS Jesus' birthday and all that. I just stood there, feeling a lot less intelligent than the little one standing before me. Then I looked at her and told her that if she thought that we should go, then we should.

Just thoughts, :)

Merry Holidays and
Happy Christmas~~ ;)
~B

Alana said...

And now for the Orthodox perspective...Not only does the Orthodox Church stay open for Divine Liturgy on Christmas morning, no matter what day of the week that it falls on, we also prepare with Vigil service the evenings before, and a Divine Liturgy on the 24th. There will be a service of Royal Hours leading up to the liturgies and Vigil, on Friday as well. This is normal. We have been fasting and preparing our hearts to receive Christ, at see the incarnation of God, and to celebrate the Nativity in the flesh of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ for forty days. Regardless of whether it happened on December 25th or not, is beside the point. The Church liturgical calendar exists, with it's feasts and fasts, to draw us personally into being participants in the salvation story of God. This is what Christmas, "Christ's Mass"...or in Orthodoxese, the Eucharistic Liturgy of the Nativity of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ... is all about. We do this because WE need it.

Several different sources, and I believe it was touched upon in your blog as well, mention the idea of "being Church" as opposed to "going to Church" where Church is a building we meet at, etc. The Orthodox view on that is that the Church manifests itself in the act of communion: the primary way we manifest Church is by gathering together and partaking of the body and blood of Christ together, and it is this gathering, this offering of ourselves in communion to our Lord that then enables us to go out and make disciples of all nations, etc. But the gathering together is not less "being Church" than the going out.

So for us, going to Church is always a part of Christmas morning, regardless of which day of the week it falls on. I guess if Christmas were on a Saturday, there would be liturgy three mornings in a row...and we would go.

Dollymama said...

b,
I can appreciate your pastor's point.

What this issue is doing for me is making me reconsider how I do Christmas, and asking myself what it's really all about. If your heartfelt belief is that it's really all about Jesus, then maybe we should be like Alana's church and have service Christmas Day no matter what day of the week it falls on!

I think this thing with churches closing this year just begs us to ask ourselves if it really is all about Jesus or not. I think what we've got here are two different issues:

One is celebrating the fact that Jesus came to earth (regardless of when He came),

the other is what is this Christmas Chaos all about? I think it's a year-end celebration and family time, and for many people it's mainly about materialism. (fortunately we've never had the money to be materialistic :) )

Alana,
So has the Orthodox church been celebrating Christ's birth on Dec. 25 since the time of the apostles?

Marilyn said...

Interesting thoughts on the whole Christmas thing. One point that hasn't been made is that alot of folks only darken the doors of a church on Christmas and Easter. I would hate to think that someone might decide to go to a church and find it closed. What would an unchurched person think about it?

Dollymama said...

Hey Mom!
(that's Mimley to the rest of you!)

The thing I think about the point you made is that for people that only go to church twive a year, I doubt they really care which church it is. Most churches are still doing their usual thing, and people who want a traditional Christmas service can find one for sure.

I'm not saying that I think it's good to close church on Christmas. Just that this issue makes me reconsider the way we "do" the holiday and what our true values are.

Alana said...

Naw, it started being celebrated around the same time the Bible was canonized: fourth century.

Here's a nice summery:

http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/articles/fasts_feasts/bassoline_origin_christmas.htm

Alana said...

one more:

http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/2005/12/world-magazine-why-december-25.html

~B said...

I really like what Alana's church does, where they have church on Christmas Day no matter what day of the week it is, I think that that's really a good, good thing. I had never even thought about that before.

I also agree with Mimley,that may the only time that a lot of people get into a church, and maybe that would be their day to "meet" Christ.

~B

Willow said...

::Waving to Mimley::

Hey, Mrs. Dolly's Mom!