Monday, December 26, 2005

Christmas Follow-up

So, for those of you that went to church yesterday, I would like to know if your pastor mentioned the controversy about having/not having church that day, and then pointed out why your church was better because they did. :)

Second, I wanted to follow up on my recent comments about Christmas. They were long and rambling, and the point seemed to get lost in there, probably largely due to the fact that I didn't know what my conclusion was except that I was getting some good thinking opportunities.

What I've come up to at this point is that I do think it's worth taking some special time to remember Jesus' birth, but because of what our society has turned Christmas into, I think Dec. 25 is possibly one of the worst times to do so. Most people are just too preoccupied with the other holiday trappings to really give Jesus anything significant of themselves, their time, or their attention.

I'm not sure what the end result of this questioning will be. We'll still continue to "do" Christmas because it's a good family holiday, and it's virtually inescapable in our society and I am not willing to make myself and my family such oddballs that we won't participate in Christmas stuff at all. However, it may be that I will appoint some other time of year that my family will give Jesus' birth some more special attention, that is far removed from present-buying, house decorating, and society-wide hysteria.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Remember the 12 Days of Christmas have just started, there's plenty of time to remember the Incarnation in the next few days after leaving the "commerical" part behind.

Christ is Born, Glorify Him!

Dollymama said...

Good idea, Mimi! The 12 days after.... I never heard of that before!

Mimi said...

Really? You've started me thinking about a blog post.