Monday, August 29, 2005

From the mouths of babes

I recently went to a homeschool kick-off night and saw people that I probably haven't seen for 2 years. One friend exclaimed about how great I look and said, "Look at you! You're so THIN!"

Now, I know that's nice and meant to be a compliment and all, but....this is one of those comments that makes me cringe because, um, I have a ways to go. And to be thought of as THIN at this point only serves to remind me of how absolutely HORRIBLE I must have looked the last time she laid eyes on me. (and I was! I have seen the pictures of me at the end of my 6th pregnancy, and it wasn't pretty, folks! nosirree!) Does anyone else experience this line of thinking?

The other funny down side to this comment is that I know how much I weigh, and if I were to tell you, you would not be inclined to think that I am THIN. Now, I am tall, and my body tends to distribute the extra weight all over the place, so I do stay in fairly good (fatty) proportion to myself at all times, which makes for a decent visual deception. But, you know, THIN is not one of the adjectives that comes to my mind in describing myself.... I've always been a curvy chick with butt, hips, and boobs. Even if I were 20 lbs. less than I am now, I'd be curvy...never thin. (which is ok with me. I like my curves! They suit me.)

But, anyhow, the kicker came when I was home and told my husband about this comment from my friend. When I got to the past where I had told him she said, "You are so THIN!" and then rolled my eyes at him (because he knows what I think about this comment) my 9 year old daughter chimes in by rolling her eyes and saying, "Yeah, really! You? Thin? ha. "

Thanks, sweetie.

Have I told you lately about how honesty is sometimes overrated? (not sure if I prefer the THIN or the 'yeah, right!')

No comments: