Saturday, September 03, 2005

Speaking of Taxes

My post about school programs has veered off into the subject of taxes. I was mulling this over and had some random thoughts to put out to you all for discussion:

1. Do you know of any nations that do not charge any sort of taxes?

2. So, if you are against taxes, does that mean that you think all taxes are bad, and that no citizens of our country should have to contribute any amount for the many "perks" we enjoy as Citizens of the USA?

3. Although I would agree that Americans are overtaxed and that there is a lot of financial waste when the government gets to handle our money, overall I guess I tend to think of taxes as a mandatory fee for living in a really nice place. A lot of people pay fees if they move to a gated community, for example. Your fees might be covering things like clubhouse and pool use, a gated safety system, private security personnel, yard services, and so on. When I think of all the things that I have because I live in the USA, it doesn't bother me all that much to contribute to it. Some of the stuff that taxes provide isn't stuff I need, but in many cases I am glad to know it is there in case I *did* ever need it.

Please, no more of the "stealing from one to give to the other" comments, only because it's already been said. I'm just wondering if there are other countries that somehow have a successful system without any taxation, and if any of you feel happy to pay taxes to support a great nation like the US.

Also, are any of you aware of the Fair Tax movement? What do you think about it?

No comments: