Wednesday, September 14, 2005

New Job: Day Two

(Otherwise known as "Why did I start this when I was about to get my period?!")

Well, I'm here. I'm surviving. I'm beating the odds! And that's about all. I almost caved this morning when I was so tired (despite going to bed at 9:15pm) that I almost crawled back into bed and said, "the heck with it!" It's amazing what proving one's point can do to motivate!

So, I forced myself to get in motion, to brush my hair and get out that blasted bra. Once I got going, it wasn't all that bad, although I will admit that I am still very tired.

I have mowed grass, picked apples and pears (twice), swept, cleaned, washed dishes and put them away, cleaned a bathroom, done school with kids, done laundry (and kept up on it), taken kids to play with friends, and hosted guests for about an hour and a half. Now I have to go make lasagne and salad and maybe a dessert and try to perk myself up and look pretty because my husband is coming home from his trip later this evening! He has to work his regular 24 hour shift tomorrow, so hopefully I will be enchanting for the few hours that we have together tonite before he is gone again. Since I know I can collapse tomorrow, if needed, I think I can hang on til then.

I definitely get more done when I am thinking in terms of a job. I am also definitely more tired. Maybe it'll help me sleep better at night, eh? A bonus!

From the archives: Who cares!? If you want to know, go look at Sept. 2004 for yourself. That's how tired and in a hurry I am.

;)

Oh, wait....one funny from today. My oldest son gets a list from my most days telling him what to do. I jot things on it starting the previous day so that I don't forget little chores that I notice he could do. So, the list always has his school stuff, regular chores, plus any special jobs and things I need to add. Lately he's had things on his list such as "complete thank you notes from your birthday that was a month ago" and helping me with organizational projects like "organize DVDs" or moving toys to a new location in our house. He often feels that the list is crazy long and oppressive, but he usually feels that way about most stuff.

So, this afternoon I asked him (as I do a dozen times a day), "OK, what else is on your list?" and he says to me, "Ummmm....let's see......dig a hole to China....."

I used that as inspiration for his writing assignment. I told him to write something facetious using the list torture as his leaping off point. It could be a poem, story, a fake list, whatever. So he came up with his own list. He wrote:

Today's List
Do all 482,157,798 online classes
toy relocation project (plane to Africa with Steve Irwin at 2pm)
mow White House lawn using scissors
write thank you notes from your third birthday
save the people in dimension x from your arch nemesis, Stupid Man!
dig hole to China
and don't give me a hassle about it!!
~Mom

That kid cracks me up.

Oh, hey--y'all can pray for my momma. She's in NC where Ophelia is hitting.

See ya tomorrow on my blog break, kids!

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

For any of you who prayed for our safety-thanks. We are fine. A little wet that's all.

~B said...

Dolly, Okay, maybe my head has been in a hole, but...do you homeschool? I thought that your kids were in a "regular" school. Cool. ~B :)

~B said...

The reason I asked...I homeschool too and I didn't realize that you did also. Sorry if I don't make sense, I need to get into bed.... ;0 ) ~B

Dollymama said...

B,
I have 3 kids in public school and 2 that are homeschooled. Plus the one that isn't school age. :)

It changes from year to year. Last year 5 were in school. Next year, who knows?

Dollymama said...

Well, Carmen, I *do* go visit her. I even drive there to visit. So I guess you're within "driving distance" to begin with, eh?

It's just a darn. long. drive. :)