Tuesday, September 20, 2005

At dinner tonite my 7 year old son made an announcement. This is my son who says he wants to have 12 kids someday, and often wonders out loud who he will find to be his wife. He is already planning! It is very cute.

At dinner he started in sounding like he has something very important to share:

"Mom. Hey Mom. I want to tell you something. Um, you know, if I ever get two twin kids, do you know what I will name them?"

(then he got interrupted several times, and repeated all of the above each time, as a running start to his announcement....this is a child that does not know the meaning of *starting where you left off*)

What will you name your two twin children, Jake?

"Tom."

????

"Tom? Both of them will be named Tom?"

"Yeah. Tom."

To which all of us at the table tried our hardest to stifle laughter.

Either he's completely illogical, or completely efficient. I haven't decided which one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We watched Garden State the other night. It's rated R, and earned it with persistent bad language, drug use, and some graphic you-know-what. The movie's flavor is sort of a combination of Lost in Translation (which I hated because it was so dull), but with some seriously funny stuff. Part of the humor is the fact that the jokes are just allowed to BE, without anything extra. (something I have a hard time doing in my writing) For instance: A woman singing "Three Times a Lady" at a graveside burial service. HILARIOUS! You have to see it to appreciate it. The other funniest moment was when the main male character has to try on a homemade shirt that was made from leftover material from a home decorating project. The camera just gives us one shot of this: the guy, looking pained, wearing this shirt, standing in front of a wall covered with the exact same pattern, such that he almost completely blends in. It's just a few seconds, with no words...but hilarious. Very clever.

I guess if you can get past the things that earned it an R rating, it's a pretty good movie. Except that I am sick of movies where people know each other for 4 days or something and decide they are in love and are going to change their whole life because of it. I wonder if people actually believe this happens, and make coordinatingly absurd decisions.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

Willow said...

Waaaaaaaaaa.... I was gone and couldn't catch up on my daily and weekly reads! Clue a gal in, eh?