Saturday, September 03, 2005

Movie review: Million Dollar Baby

My sister recommended Million Dollar Baby to me a few months ago, and last night my husband and I finally got around to watching it. It's not a feel good movie, folks. In fact, my husband said it was the saddest, most depressing movie he has ever seen. (Thelma and Louise used to hold this spot for him.)

Clint Eastwood plays an aging boxing coach, and Hilary Swank a 30-something female boxer from a poor, welfare-dependent family. Technically, the film has some artful use of light, and Morgan Freeman is a great choice both as supporting actor and narrator. I will admit that I am puzzled by the title and don't feel it's a good fit for the film.


The story combines family issues, regrets, hard work, achieving one's dreams, spiritual questions, and, in the end, the issue the film grapples with is euthanasia. Unfortunately, I didn't feel that it handled the issue in a realistic way. (spoiler coming up, so consider yourself forewarned) The movie One True Thing (which is based on the book by Anna Quindlen of the same title) did a better job in addressing it.

In the story, the Hilary Swank character is injured terribly in a boxing match and becomes paralyzed from the neck down, and is dependent on a ventilator to breathe. She ends up asking Eastwood to help her die, because she doesn't want to continue to live with her situation. Suicide isn't an option for her since she can't move, although when he turns her down she does attempt suicide the only way she possibly could: by biting her tongue til it severs. Her life is saved after the tremendous blood loss of this suicide attempt, but once Eastwood sees how badly she wants to die, he reconsiders his original refusal to help her. Eventually he decides that helping her to die is the kindest thing he can do for her, and so he does.

The thing that doesn't add up about the euthanasia issue in this movie is that the Swank character never requests to be taken off of life support. Wouldn't this have been the simple answer? My husband thought that maybe people aren't allowed to make a decision like that, but I am thinking that there is no way a patient cannot refuse any treatment. Anybody know the answer to this?

I think euthanasia is an interesting moral issue, possibly because I am not sure I think there is a completely easy answer to it. I know that the only acceptable Christian answer to euthanasia is that it is never ok, that it is sin. However, this seems too simple an answer to me when we look at real life situations. At this site there is a lot of information on the subject, and one of the interesting things I noticed was that although they are against mercy killing, they seem to be ok with suicide. So, if it is ok, although tragic, for someone to decide to kill themself, what option do they have if they are physically unable to carry out the act?

I do understand the slippery slope issue involved, and so perhaps that is enough to make a lot of people say No Way to euthanasia for any reason.

One thing I wondered about as an offshoot of this topic was medical technology and life expectancy. Today people can live longer than ever, many times thanks to science and medical technology. My premature son might not have lived if medical technology had not been available. Heck, *I* very well might not have lived without medical technology both for his birth and for the birth of our 6th child as well. Boy am I thankful it was available! But in the case of a person like the Hilary Swank character in Million Dollar Baby, medical technology was being used to keep a person alive who did not want to be. If we are against euthanasia, and perhaps also against suicide, is it also immoral to not avail oneself of medical technology that will save a life? I am curious about the differentiation that some people see here. Please know, I'm not saying I disagree. I am merely thinking about the issue and am undecided about it.

So, how about "do not resuscitate" orders in nursing homes? Apparently the patient or their family has made the decision that if they become in need of medical technology to save their life, that they do not want it. Apparently they do not feel their life is worth keeping on with if they don't have to. Maybe they are looking for a way out....? Is this an immoral thing?

What about living wills? Is it immoral for someone to draw up a legal document that says that under this circumstance or that, they do not want to be kept alive? What about when people do not want to be kept on feeding tubes? Is it really more "moral" to let them die a slow death of dehydration and starvation, rather than a quick and painless death thanks to pharmaceuticals that can only be obtained through a physician?

I guess public schools and taxation weren't big enough issues for me this week.....

5 comments:

~B said...

Whew! THis subject is so tough. I look at it two ways. One: Back in the olden days when someone was hurt horribly and couldn't be kept alive by breathing apparatus'(SP?), they were left to die, were they administered pain-killing drugs then~I"m not the one to know, because I am not a dr. Okay and then there's Terry Schiavo: She was disabled, was mentally handicapped, could speak "in her own language" of sorts, but couldn't feed herself. When her mom walked in the room, she supposedly would react (if awake)in her own special handicapped way. She was kept alive not by ventillators or the such, but by being fed by a tube in her stomach.....

It's late, I"m losing my train of thought!! lol.Anyway, so in the olden days, would she have had a chance?

I was for keeping her alive. Just like when my twins were in the nicu, they were unable to eat anything, but just liquid from the iv for a long time, if that food would have been taken away, they would have perished. They were helpless and depending on "us" to keep them alive.

I think that if you have no mental function that then there's no "use". But even if you have a handicapped mental function, you are still needing to be protected.

I don't know what to say either way.....Just thoughts on it all. It's such a hard issue....

~B

Dollymama said...

Y'no, Carmen, the movie didn't really affect me emotionally at all. I kept thinking, "shouldn't I be finding this more compelling?" I think that when it came to the end, I couldn't get past the fact that she should just tell the hospital staff she was refusing the ventilator.

B,
Historically there have been herbs, alcoholic beverages, and opiates that could be administered to people for pain, although what we have today is probably far more helpful.

I don't even want to bring the Terri Shiavo thing. I may like to debate, but I don't have the energy for that! :)

I think the difference with NICU babies vs. elderly people or those harmed by an accident, is that most preemies are going to be perfectly fine, they just need some help to grow a little more til they can get to that point. Statistically, most preemies will live and do well. For a person with multiple problems, terrible brain damage, etc. it seems that the stats are much different, as far as an expectation for this person to do well if given a little more time and support.

I didn't know you had preemies too. how big were yours when they were born? My preemie was 2.5 lbs.

Glad to know (maybe) that I am not the only person that does not find this issue less than cut and dry.

~B said...

I was so tired when I posted that last post, that my point didn't get across the way I wanted to when I was talking about the olden days. What I was supposed to say was that in the olden days, when someone was crippled, like Terri Schiavo, they wouldn't have had a chance back then, there weren't any painkillers/tubes through the stomach and all that, so back then, was it considered murder.....

I am not for killing people just because they are "imperfect", what if my twins were born and were mentally handicapped and there was no hope of them ever being normal, would I have let them be unfed..... I wouldn't have been able to, I would have fought for their lives.

The scary thing about this all is, we have to stand before God and explain this all to him, why we decide what we decide. So we have to be so careful to make our minds up on these issues.

I also think that it's not a cut and dried issue, it's something that has to be carefully evaluated biblically.

We have faith in the doctors to do what is right/wrong, but do we have faith enough that we could cry out for mercy on this crippled person for God to take her quickly. Do you know what I mean?

Just my thoughts again. :)

B

~B said...

My babies weren't that small, but had a horrible time in-utero, they had twin-to-twin-transfusion syndrome, whew, I'm glad it's over.

Here's my pregnancy journal from back then: http://www.storknet.com/journals/becky.htm

Dollymama said...

I knew what you meant! :)

I have some scenarios in mind for myself where I know what *I* would probably do and what I would want if I was the person in very bad condition. I'm just looking at some of these other surrounding issues, and wondering why it doesn't seem to come as as a consistent ethic to say euthanasia is always wrong. Just one of the many things I grapple with!

I do want to resolve this in my own mind because, like you said, B, it's a spiritual issue too and not something to take lightly.