Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Throwing a last-minute surprise party

Yesterday was my husband's birthday. He was working at the fire station, just as he had been Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Poor guy! On Monday I was deciding about going to visit him on Tuesday, which would be an obvious OF COURSE if it weren't for the fact that gas is so expensive, we drive a big vehicle, and it's 30 minutes away.

And then I had a brain storm. I could set up a little surprise party for him at work!

After a few minutes of thinking it through, I put my plan into action starting at about 9pm on Monday.

I emailed some friends from church to invite them to stop in for the happenin's. On Tuesday morning I got ingredients to make his favorite pie, plus ordered a cake, and bought drinks, cups, and plates.

During the day I called the firemen on duty to let them know what was going on. I made the pies. And I picked up the cake and balloons. I cleared out the back of our Burb and used a fire truck blanket as a tablecloth back there.

We went to one of the fire stations that he was not at and set up a little tailgate party. The firemen helped us a bit. We wrapped the balloons around the side view mirror. Then people started to arrive and we had one of the firemen call to the other station to ask my husband to come down there for something.

By the time he arrived he had a nice group in the parking lot waiting to surprise him!

Lots of people from church showed up and so we had a really nice turn out. My husband was really surprised and it gave him a much-needed lift. It was really easy to put together so I will not hesitate to try more surprise parties in the future.

You, too, and put together a surprise party in less than 24 hours! :)

3 comments:

Speckledpup said...

good job gurl!

The Pup

Willow said...

Awww...how nice!

Mimi said...

That is so awesome, good job!

Happy Birthday to your hubby.