Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I Know This Much is True (book review)

A couple weeks ago I picked up this book at the local library's used book sale. The two things that caught my eye about it were the cover art, and the fact that it had an "Oprah's Book Club" sticker on it. I snatched it up thinking I would either read it or resell it or send it off to paperbackswap. As it turned out I read it....and what an awesome book!

I Know This Much is True is the story of twin brothers, one with schizophrenia, the other one telling the story. This book has it all: history, love, tragedy, heartbreak, passion, true friendship, struggle, and the perfect ending.

This book is one that grabbed my attention and kept calling me back. The characters felt very real to me. The honesty of the narrator brother was excellent. Definitely worth reading!

5 comments:

Mom2the6Rs said...

Hi, Dolly Mama. I love your name and reading your profile made me think of myself! I found this post by searching for people's opinions on their favorite Oprah books. I just picked up about 10 of them at the Value Village 50% off day and I was curious as to which one I should start to read first.

I am a homeschooling mom. I am 36. And I am a Christian who shares your view on what is most important. I saw on your blog roll the big yellow house...Love that blog! It is my daily dose of true joy.

Anyway, I would love to befriend you more, so check out my blogs if you have the time. I am going to put your blog in my favorites.

Jules
www.pwoprah.blogspot.com
www.julieatethis.blogspot.com

Mimi said...

I have heard such good things about that book, but have not picked it up (something about Oprah's big O makes me cringe, you know ;) ) but I shall look for it.

Marilyn said...

I read this book some years ago because it was by Wally Lamb. I had previously read "She's Come Undone" by him and felt that he had insight into the feelings of a woman that were hard to believe had come from a man. It was not a "fun" book but was one I did not want to put down. When I was done I missed the main character as I did in "I Know This Much Is True".

Dollymama said...

Jules,
Welcome! I will be visiting you soon!

Mimi--You know, so many Oprah books are DEPRESSING so I have gotten a little leery of reading them. Hence my first thought to sell this book off. I was really, really happy with the ending in this book, though. Just. Right.

Mom--It's so fun to know we read the same book! Since I liked this book so much I was thinking of reading She's Come Undone as well. Glad ot get your recommendation.

Mom2the6Rs said...

Thanks for visiting...so fun to have you drop by. I know, I know, I do have the laundry set up of everyone's dreams....with 5 kids, I need it. I am no June Cleaver, let me tell you. I need all the help I can get.

Jules