Monday, May 01, 2006

Mega Families via Adoption

For quite some time now I've been fascinated by families that grow super big via adoption, or often a combination of adopted and bio kids. I think it started with the VanWingerden family of Colorado Springs. They have 22 children, 12 adopted and 10 bio. WOW! 22 kids! Amazing!

For my whole adult life I knew I wanted a lot of kids. 4 was a minimum idea, and I think that after growing up seeing the Cosby family and the Waltons with their big broods of kids it seemed fun and doable. Now that I have 6 it doesn't really seem all that big, yet for now I feel like I'm at the limit of what I can do.

But that doesn't change the fact that when I see ads looking for foster and adoptive homes for kids that I don't cry and wonder if there is any way I can possibly help.

The dangerous thing is, my husband is the exact same kind of sucker for this kind of stuff that I am.

So, it's always in the back of my mind that one day we are going to get to the point where we will not feel spread so thin, and more kids may join our family without all the stretch marks and midnight potty runs.

I guess all of that sort of explains why I can't stop being amazed about the people that do this sort of thing.

For awhile now I've enjoyed the lovely blog Owlhaven. Happy mom Mary has 8 kids, several through adoption.

Today I read the blog book of a woman who has adopted 10 kids in less than a decade. I read it to the point of distraction....

The other day I came upon Team Bettendorf. They have 12 kids ages 10 and under---many of them adopted.

Then there's Amanda from one of my egroups. She and her husband have adopted and adopted and adopted kids in the past several years, until now their tribe is up to 17!

And if all that ain't impressive enough....I found the Big Mamma of them all! The Bodie Bunch. Want to take a guess at how many kids they have?

Go ahead and think for a minute....






OK. You dragged it out of me.
39.
They have THIRTY-NINE CHILDREN ranging in age from 3 to 32.

I. Am. In. Awe.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

No "they", it's just me, a single mama.

Dollymama said...

Sorry Cindy. I hadn't read enough to be sure about that. Wow! I am amazed (which I'm sure you hear all the time....)