Saturday, May 06, 2006

Proving that I'm on the right track...

My mom, who posts comments as Mimley, mentioned that I could do as she did with her kids, dragging them to things like Woodsmen's Festivals, apple festivals, and so forth. She has shown the light on the roots of why it is that I can go to anything and manage to have fun, even if only by making fun of it.

My parents took us to all sorts of stuff like that. The Woodsmen's Festival was probably one of the most memorable because they had things like men climbing tall poles with their bare hands. Actually, if my memory is correct, the poles may have been greased. They also had men that could carve things like squirrels out of large pieces of trees, using a chain saw. There were also a zillion tents and tables and displays set up by various chain saw distributors and so forth. My dad did a lot of tree work so this stuff was right up his alley.

Proving that even as a teenager I could have fun no matter what, my sibs and I retreated to the van when all the woodland fun became too much for us. We proceeded to have hours of fun while waiting for our parents. We took wierd pictures of each other that I have to this day. (I will have to see if I can find some to share)

Yes, mom, you have shown me the way. take your kids to a wide variety of places and let their natural coping skills kick in. (or something like that)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As one of nine, there were a lot of memories of songs etc., as we were in the cars on such trips. However, we never watched men climb greasy poles? !

Williams Brother

Anonymous said...

I am the same way. My parents took us to every antique store within a 300 mile radius, as well as Octoberfests, art festivals, and things of this nature. I always wondered why I could go anywhere and not die of extreme boredom!!

Personally, I would have loved to see a squirrel hewn from a tree with a chain saw!

Dollymama said...

Ah, Angie, you reminded me of something else! My grandparents LOVED to go antiquing so we often got taken along while we were visiting them. Yep--more proof of my theory. :)

William's Brother:
We used to have to play the "Grandma Went on a Trip" game when we went to visit my grandparents. You had to say that she took something that started with an A, like apple, and then the next person has to remember that she took Apple, plus add on for the next letter of the alphabet, on and on until the unfortunate last person that had to remember all the items on down to Z. I don't know how fun we thought it was, but it did help pass them time. Plus helped stretch our brains!

(We also had to play Bible verse memory with grandma, and nothing counted if you didn't know the scripture reference to go with it. Good times!)

Speckledpup said...

oh I could bore you with what my parents did to me as a child...this is the simple way to say it.

My parents drugged me...
they drug me to church
they drug me to gospel singings
they drug me to hospitals to sing to the sick people
they drug me to nursing homes to visit the infirmed
they drug me to fellowship meetings
they drug me to church camp.

I am what I am becuase of my raising...both good and bad...I wouldn't change a thing.