Saturday, May 13, 2006

Awesome Ice Cream



















As I continue on my journey of healthy eating and raw foods, I keep trying new things. The other day I came upon something that has been a true hit at my house: Ice Cream!

Here's how you make it:

take some ripe bananas (when the skins have the brown speckles on them). Peel and chop up, then freeze. (When you see bargain bananas marked down at the store, buy them up and freeze them! Very cheap!)

Once frozen, stick your chopped bananas into your food processor, blender, or whatever you've got.

Add in a tablespoon or so of honey, and some coconut milk (maybe 2-3 Tablespoons. I didn't measure).

Whir it all up in your processor til it looks like soft serve ice cream.

Now you can eat it that way or make it into some other flavor.

If you want it more vanilla-ish, add some vanilla extract.

For chocolate, which is what we did, I added carob powder. I just kept adding it and mixing a tablespoon or so at a time until it was satisfyingly chocolately. I read a suggestion to add a little mint extract for a chocolate-mint ice cream which sounded yummy as well. If you don't care about going all-raw you could add natural peanut butter in!

Other suggestions would be to add nuts, granola, frozen or fresh berries or other fruit, etc. You can really use your imagination!

For us, the chocolate ice cream was DELICIOUS! MY 13 year old even said so, which is quite an accomplishment seeing as how he treats most healthy items with great skepticism.

I also discovered, by accident, that this can make a yummy pudding as well. You can make this up and then put it into containers in the fridge until you want to eat it. I had some leftover ice cream last night that I stuck in the fridge. This morning it was still good and I am thinking it would be a thrillin breakfast item for my children. They will be extremely delighted to know that we are having chocolate pudding for breakfast!

I think this could also make excellent frozen popsicles as well.

This is very filling so it doesn't take much to satisfy you. Try it!

No comments: