Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Unthinkable Has Happened

I lived in New York state for the first 20 years of my life. Since then I've lived in Kentucky for nearly 15 years. I guess it was inevitable.....

What is it? What has happened? Well, I'll tell ya. I've got a twang.

Yes, a twang. Whereas I was brought up to speak properly, the native dialect and accent seem to have caught up with me. In recent days I've caught myself saying things like, "Hi honey. Is your momma there?" and "-n- such" and "we'll be prayin' on it" -- and all with a moderate-but-unmistakable Kentucky twang.

What next? I start to cook cornbread in grease and grow tobacco on my spare acreage? Gain 35 pounds and wear terry cloth shorts to next summer's county fair? I declare, things are gettin' dicey around here....

6 comments:

razorbackmama said...

Ah, so you finally learned how to talk CORRECTLY! *vbwg*

I used to work with this little old lady in Arkansas, and she ended every sentence with "an' allllllll." Sometimes she'd just be sitting there, and I guess it would be too quiet, because she'd just all of a sudden say, "an' alllllll." LOL!

Are ya fixin' to do anything for the weekend? :-D

Alana said...

HA!

If I ever see any terry cloth shorts I'll be sure to procure them and mail them to you.

Dollymama said...

Y'all are crackin' me up!

Alana, you KNOW that if you ever do send me terry cloth shorts, you will be able to hear me howl and cackle all the way from here to your house.....

(You know I'm gonna go to the mailbox with fear and trepidation for awhile now, don't ya?)

Mimi said...

I love listening to the twang. And, when I went to KY, I brought home a cast iron pan for my dear hubby, who loves it.

Terry cloth shorts, yikes!

Marilyn said...

I personally feel that the terry cloth romper (strapless with the elastic around the top) is much more flattering-particularly if your butt is as broad as a barn!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the south! That's how we talk down here!

(wow... 2 posts in a day...)

-K