Friday, February 17, 2006

School Sick Policies

Alana made the interesting comment that I should run for a position on my local school board and then make an alternate absentee policy to propose. I never thought of that. I'm not sure if I have the time to actually be a board member, but crafting a new attendance policy is interesting to me.

I would be very interested in knowing what kind of attendance policies you folks have at your children's schools, and what your perception is of how well it works, or any pitfalls of it.

To be humbly honest, I will share that yesterday when my husband took two of our school age kids to the doc, we found out that they have strep! Nobody has complained of a sore throat at all, and so that was not a suspicion that I had. I'm sure that eventually I would have decided to go to the doctor without the attendance policy breathing down my neck, but I am glad to know that strep is the thing that is kicking our rears here in dollymamaville (so that we can get fixing it).

But that doesn't change my frustration with the policy.....

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I think that sounds great to run for the School Board - just think of the impact.

I'm sorry about the strep throat.

I've not had any issues with attendance policies and to my knowledge, the doctor only gets involved if there is medication at the school.