Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Night Shift

So between my own aches and pains, the fact that we went to bed by 8:30pm, and the heat generated by two little boys smooshed up against me in my bed, I couldn't sleep any more by 1am. So far I've gone to the bathroom multiple times, gotten medicine for little sicklings, refilled water, played solitaire on my pocket PC, and now am here to share some of the illness-induced comments from yesterday!

When they're half out of their mind with fever, kids say even more of the darndest things than usual. Since I know that fever is the body's way of trying to incinerate bad germs, I don't automatically give my kids Tylenol when they have one. Usually I reserve it for times when they are particularly miserable. Yesterday I decided to give a round of Tylenol to all the kids around 3pm just to give them a break from their misery, and in the hopes that they might feel good enough to eat something for dinner.

I hand Jake the Great 4 chewable Tylenol.

Jake: Do I swallow this?

Me: You can chew it up, honey.

Jake (looking miserable and perplexed): Chew? ........ What is chew?

Me: What is chew?? With your teeth, honey. Pretend it's smarties candy or something and just chew it up.

Jake (still looking confused): I don't get it. How do I chew?

Sullen (chiming in since he can't resist such an opportunity): This is Body Functions 101, Jake. Cheeeeeeeeew it. With your teeth. (does dramatic interpretation of chewing)

Jake: Shut up.



Later I was in the kitchen trying to fill dinner order...weak little requests for "some yogurt--the pink kind" or "a little bit of applesauce." Sullen was just finishing up making perogies, so had dumped the potful into a colander, and a lot of steam was rising from the sink. Sullen loaded the food onto his plate and took off for his room. Squiggy Magoo (almost three) starts saying, "I want some of that!" pointing to the steam.

Me: Sweetie, there's nothing there. Sullen took that food. I will make you something else.

SM: No! I want THAT!

Me: You want what? Steam?

SM: YES! Steam! I want that steam!

Me: No, sweetie, steam is not to eat.

SM (getting more irrational and upset by the second): I told you I want that STEAM!!!!

So I picked him up to see into the sink, and then he decided that steam wasn't going to be his favorite meal after all.....


Thankfully my husband's work for tomorrow was cancelled so I will not have to suffer through all the logistics around here myself. Maybe I will even get to kick all the kids out of my bed and sleep without interferance....


5 comments:

Mimi said...

Oh, ugh, I'm so sorry to hear about the gunk at your house.

Prayers everyone feels better soon.

Heth said...

Mmmm, steam, my favorite. Too cute!
Make some of your famous chicken and rice soup. That should cure them right up!

Dollymama said...

Funny thing, Het--my oldest son just made some of that soup for an early dinner! :)

I had a rough night, and don't feel well today. My poor daughter is really feeling bad also. But the boys all seem to be on the mend (which I think right now is worse than them still being sick! So much noise and joking and goofing around....not so nice when you feel like this!).

My husband took 3 of the kids off to the doc for the almighty school excuses. I felt so terrible to send my daughter. She looked horrible and was crying. UGH!

Anonymous said...

Dolly Mama, I just happenned upon your blog a few days ago. My Grandmother has a blog. Before she had hers I never knew such a thing exsisted. I certainly never thought I would comment on someone else's blog. Although our circumstances are much different you have truly inspired me. I am a single mother of four awsome kids. As you can imagine I stay pretty busy! At times my friends ask me how I do it, ya know, all the stuff that goes along with kids, laundry, cooking, cleaning, kissing boo boos. Through gritted teeth I just tell them "I do it tired" You Dolly Mama, are another testiment to that! I will be praying that what sleep you do get be restful and you wake up with renewed energy every morning.
Valley Girl

Dollymama said...

Welcome, Valley Girl! Glad you decided to comment. I can't even imagine how you manage as a single mom. Maybe you need to start a blog.

Keep visiting and commenting!