Sunday, February 05, 2006

Check Out the Pharmacy of Self Esteem


As some of you may remember, my brother is a musician with an independent CD recently released. It's his third CD and I just received a copy from him the other day. It has been really fun to hear his new music and to enjoy the development of his talent and the ideas he shares in his songs. Also, his previous work was a solo project and now he is teamed up with his wife-type-person, DJ Swan. (Thankfully not her real name)

He has one song that is absolutely brilliant and hilarious and I love it so much that I've been making a nuisance of myself listening to it over and over at home and in the car. I even took it to small group last night (and all the women said, "Your brother is HOT!!"). Now I have to share it here. Here are the lyrics (from memory, so it may not be perfect):

The Pharmacy of Self Esteem

I used to gobble pharmaceuticals

to wake up and to fall asleep

I used to gobble pharmaceuticals

to fall down, to stand up straight


blue ones for too much love,

red red red ones for too much hate,

and if they ever make 'em

be sure that I will take 'em

green ones to cure my spite
checkerboard ones to overcome fate


Daddy didn't love me,

and momma didn't breastfeed

now I dream of nursemaids, Swedish if you please

Daddy didn't spank me,
and momma didn't breastfeed

now I dream of breastmilk-cappucino freeze


Then one day I realized,

one day I realized I am,

one day I realized I am,

I'm the best thing that's ever happened to me.

I'm a pharmacy of self esteem!


If you're feeling low and you really, really, really want to grow
check out the pharmacy of self esteem
If you're feeling low and you really, really, really want to glow
check out the pharmacy of self esteem

You can listen to this and his other songs here. Sad Slow Drink is a really soothing instrumental pieces that I love as well. And hey--you can download his music at itunes as well!

A lot of people ask me what genre of music my brother plays, and I don't know what to call it. I think perhaps it would go in some sort of electronica/techno/funk category. Really, it's in a class by itself. It's very different, and a lot of it I don't understand. Pharmacy of Self Esteem is probably the one song he's got that is likely to appeal to a very wide audience. Aside from the fact that I love the sound of this song, I love it that I actually understand what he's saying and appreciate the humor in it.

He is getting air time on several radio stations. In some cases he is getting as much time as Madonna's latest song! It'll be fun to be able to say "I knew him when" after he's a big star. You can catch his performances in Massachusetts.

Another exciting thing is that my brother was the music producer for the cool new Bode Miller movie, Flying Downhill. Music from 14 of my brother's songs are used in the movie! I saw a rough cut of the movie over a year ago (and got to put in my two cents worth on what kind of sounds worked and didn't--that was fun!) and I really enjoyed it. Bode's story is an interesting and exciting one, and with the Olympics coming up, that guy is one to watch!

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Kudos to your brother!