Friday, February 24, 2006

Book and Movie Review Roundup

I'm way behind on sharing reviews of my recently read books and movies I've watched. Let me not be delayed any longer!

Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious thoughts on Christian Spirituality by Donald Miller was a wonderful read that I thoroughly enjoyed. This atypical book dares to mention big questions that many Christians like to pretend don't exist and don't matter. Miller shares his journey to becoming a follower of Jesus Christ in a way that is personal, convincing, and never preachy. He's funny, vulnerable, and not afraid to let us know that he's a real guy, that he's not perfect, and that he's not a Republican.

One of my favorite parts of this book is when he tells about how he once had this idea that Christianity had a lot of broken parts that didn't make sense, and that Sunday school teachers or pastors would try to hide all of these broken parts behind their back, while telling their listeners something else to try to distract them from wondering about that hidden mess. Such honesty!

This book had a lot of stuff in it that I could strongly identify with and that I haven't heard spoken by anybody else. Ever. It had the effect of making me say, "Ah! So I'm not crazy to have thought that!"

I think it's a book that would be appreciated by anyone that is a thinker and is open to hearing about other people's genuine thoughts and experiences. You don't have to be a Christian to enjoy this book, and I think it's a book I would enjoy discussing with non-Christians to get their "take" on it's message.

Anne Lamott's wonderful book Bird by Bird: Some Instructions in Writing and Life has been a joy to read, study, and digest over the past few weeks. I discovered Anne Lamott's work a few months ago when Sooz recommended Plan B and I'm happy to say that I think I've found one of my very favorite authors. She's now right up there in my heart with Iris Krasnow and Anna Quindlen and SARK. Next thing you know I'll be a bleeding heart liberal like my father always ranted and raved about!

In Bird by Bird Anne shares with the reader her insights into getting the business of writing done, and let's us peek into her private world of angst and anxiety and jealousy and fear to let us know that we're not alone. She's side-splittingly funny so often, and also manages to inspire and direct in a wise and caring way. This book has given me more of a nudge, more of a hug, more of a desire to write than anything else I can think of ever coming across.

For any of you that want to write, or if like me you feel that you need to write, if you're already writing but need some ideas or support, make sure you take a look at this book. I LOVED it.

Hey Nostradamus! is the first Douglas Coupland book I've ever read, thanks to a friend of mine recommending him and me finding this little gem on Paperback Swap. It's a novel about a young couple with a big secret, a school shooting, family dysfunction, and faith. It was a quick read, I loved the characters and the way Coupland helps the reader get to know them and care for them. The ending was a little bit....unsatisfying, but I wouldn't say that it wasn't the right ending for the story.

I enjoyed my introduction to Coupland's work and plan to read more of his work in the future.

Just Like Heaven is the cute new Reese Witherspoon movie, and I just love that sweet gal, so of course I had to check it out. I purposely didn't read much about it ahead of time because I hate to have my surprises ruined! (I've gotten so much like this that now I don't even read book jackets before starting the book.)

I'm not going to spoil anything for you here, so will just say that it's a cute, sweet romantic chick flick and we enjoyed it. (My husband will even admit to liking chick flicks!) It wasn't entirely predictable, which was a plus for us. Mark Ruffalo makes an excellent male lead in the story. Check it out!

I'm currently reading Anne Lamott's Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith which is of course just as wonderful as all the rest of her books. She has such an interesting life to talk about, I'll be amazed it she ever runs out of material.








One of the next two books I plan to read is Keri Smith's Living out Loud.
I discovered Keri from her blog, Wish Jar Journal, which has been on my blog roll from almost the start. She's very talented and I love her work and am looking forward to taking some time to work through the creativity ideas in this adorable book.






After that I plan to read another one of my paperback swap finds: Real Boys. It's supposed to be sort for boys what Reviving Ophelia is for girls. I loved Reviving Ophelia so am looking forward to seeing what this book has to say, seeing as how I have 5 sons.






What's on your bookshelf and in the DVD player?

No comments: