Friday, September 03, 2004

So, what kind of a name is Dolly Mama??

While perusing the long lists of links at various blogs I frequent, I found so many clever names. So the pressure was on to come up with something catchy. Sitting here at my computer tonite this one came to me and it made me laugh, so it won. (never mind that there weren't any other nominations)

When I was a kid my father used to call me or my sister "Dolly" or "Little Dolly" or some variation on the theme, as a cute little pet name. We didn't really like it, but it caught on as a family joke. Since I'm the oldest kid I got to be "Big Dolly" and my younger sister got to be "Little Dolly." Needless to say, being BIG Dolly didn't exactly feel like a compliment.... (but, hey, my sister also got called Hagatha by our brother, so I guess I shouldn't complain!) Once I became a mother 12 years ago I got upgraded to being The Dolly Mama. (Like the Dalai Lama--get it? No, I'm not into Tibetan religious tradition, just thought the rhyme was funny) Now that I have 6 children, I've certainly earned the title!

No comments: