Friday, September 03, 2004

My AOL story

This is something I wrote quite awhile ago, but it bears repeating, plus I'd like folks to get some idea of the kinds of stuff I write. So, here's a VENT from the past!

I have just had a *lovely* experience with AOL. You see, we got 6 months free internet access with our new computer, and AOL was set up on the computer when we got it. I had not been told when we ordered the computer that I could also choose from MSN or Earthlink. So, when I saw the paperwork while setting up the computer and realized I didn't have to choose AOL I was glad, because I don't want it. I tried setting up the MSN but for some reason it wouldn't work, so I went ahead and started the AOL account and figured I'd work out getting out of it and onto MSN later.

WELL, this morning I called Dell to see about how to do this and they say no problem, just call AOL and cancel your account, then click such and so and you can have MSN instead. So I call and get this guy and tell him I need to cancel my trial membership. He starts asking questions which sound innocent enough. Why do you want to cancel? What did you not like about it? Well did you know thisthatandtheother thing about AOL? blah blah blah. At first I was trying to be nice and listen to his chatter, but as he went on lecturing me ad nauseum about how *silly* it would be of me to cancel, etc., I decided I was done listening. So I said to him, "Hey, I know you're doing your job trying to get me not to cancel and all, but that's what I want to do, so let's just get it done." He starts being real snotty and saying, "Well, I think that's really silly. You know, you're just throwing money away. It must be nice to be able to flush money down the toilet like that..." blah blah blah So then I was really annoyed. I said, "You know, I've got 5 kids here and one on the way. I don't have time for this. Just get my account cancelled." He's like, "Wow, you must be busy. Sounds like a lot to do. I bet it would sure be nice to save money and just take advantage of this free service for 6 months.." So I said, "You know what? This approach is NOT endearing me to AOL AT ALL." He said, "What approach?" And I said, "This one where you are giving me a big hassle because I want to cancel my account." He actually had the nerve to say, "Oh, the approach that tells you the cold, hard truth?!" I said, "Hey, I need to cancel this account right now. Is there someone else I should talk to in order to get that done, or will you be able to get it done?" So then he goes into business mode, "Yes ma'am your account is cancelled as of today..." blah blah blah......

WHAT A JERK!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never consider AOL again. YUKK.

No comments: