Sunday, September 05, 2004

OK, OK, Since you dragged it out of me......

Now that a whopping 37 hits have been recorded here, I can see that the masses want MORE. More of Dolly Mama! Yes, well, a mandate like this must be answered.......

So, time to tell you about my family.

Hubby is 34, a professional firefighter (well, actually he's a Battalion Chief, but I'm not braggin') ;) . Likes to hunt and fish, wonderful family man, loves me a lot, great daddy, loves his kiddos. I still love him and even like him after 13 years. :)

Oldest kiddo is M, 12 years old. 6th grade. Main interests in life are PS2, reading (Artemis Fowl, Redwall), and being with friends. Tends to generally feel persecuted by parents, siblings, and others. He'll be ok, though. He's our child with the personality closest to mine.

Second kiddo and only girl is H. 8 years old, 2nd grade. Loves to be the second mom-type and helps with the littler ones a lot (and likes it). Loves music, dance, friends, all the usual girl stuff I guess. Everybody asks her the same stupid questions like, "The only girl with all those brothers? how do you survive?" I think the same dumb questions over and over again for her whole life will probably be worse torture than the 5 brothers......

Third kiddo is JP. 6 years old and 1st grade. Sweet, sweet boy. Kind of in his own world some of the time, but a dearheart almost non stop. Likes legos, playing outside, and putting on those wonderful "shows" that kids love to do.

Fourth kiddo is I. 4 years old and in preschool this year. This little guy was our preemie, born at a little less than 29 weeks gestation. He has done so well and has developed very well, but does have some quirks that make us wonder "Is he *really* ok?? Is this *really* normal??" But, hey, we all have our quirks, and this little guy is ours and we love him and we're keeping him no matter what! His main interests in life are his backpack, his younger brother JM, and playing outside.

Fifth kiddo is JM. 3 years old and going to preschool in a few weeks once we get some paperwork settled. He was born just 13 months after his older brother I was supposed to be born. (Get it? They are 13 months apart gestationally, but 16 months apart actually...) This is the kiddo that was born 5 weeks after his due date. (apparently my body was trying to reclaim some of the pregnancy that I missed out on from I.) He has the smiliest eyes and is one wild little character. Main interests include being loud, making a mess, and playing outside. Fortunately this is calming down some as he gets older. I have most of my gray hairs thanks to this one.

Sixth kiddo is A. He is 18 months old and is at that point where he is half baby and half buddy boy. He loves trying to keep up with the older kids and pretending to be a puppy. Totally great little cutie.

So there you have it. The main players in my life. Don't you feel better getting all that information settled before we got any farther?

9 comments:

Babette said...

Love your blog and the name of it! You have a wonderful family. My sons have twin friends whose grandma is from Kentucky...they have a little sign in their dooryard garden which reads, "On the eighth day God created Kentucky." Your main players sound adorable!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
(It's Karyn, from http://www.momminess.greekgoddessjen.com/)

Nice to meet you! Thanks for commenting on my blog. Not to seem rude in jumping right in, but I have to pick my jaw up from the floor -- Child #5 was born 5 weeks after his due date?!!!! I didn't even know that was possible! You poor, poor thing! What about baby #6: early? or late?

Dollymama said...

HI there!

Not rude at all. I want people to come and jump right in!

Yes, kiddo #5 arrived 5 weeks after his due date. It was a combination of reasons:

1. Since I got pregnant when #4 was so little, it was a little bit of a mystery as to when I actually got pregnant, so the due date was a not-very-good-guess, methinks. When I went past my due date my midwife and I started thinking that it probably wasn't the right date to begin with.

2. Baby #4 was a c-section, and I was planning a VBAC at home. There was NO WAY that I was going to consent to being induced when I wasn't even sure when the correct due date was, especially since being induced gives you a much greater chance of uterine rupture. My husband and I and my midwife were comfortable (well, as comfortable as you can be with a pregnancy that has no definite end in sight) waiting for nature to take it's course.

3. I had gone through so much physical trauma during my 4th pregnancy, I think it took my body longer to feel free to give birth. I'm not really sure how to explain it. I just needed a pregnancy that was a safe haven for me. It was so hard to be pregnant again so soon after what we had been through the previous year. So, we waited and nobody gave me a hassle about waiting, and when my son was born, it was amazing and wonderful and powerful and one of the greatest moments of my life. I'l share the birth story sometime. :)

4. Also, some women do actually tend toward "10 month pregnancies." It's only been within the past 20 years or so that doctors have become to eager to induce when people even got past their due date by a little bit, or act like a woman is going to explode if she goes a day over 2 weeks post dates. My mom went over 3 weeks past her due date with my sister way back 27 years ago, and her doctor was very laid back about it.

Dollymama said...

I forgot to answer your other question.

Baby #6 came a little earlier than we thought his due date was (can you tell that I'm not a big fan of the Due Date?). He was born on a day when I woke up in a puddle of blood.....I thought we were going to come home from the hospital empty handed. Instead I got the most gorgeous little 10 lb. 5 oz. baby boy......

Unknown said...

I seem to remember giving you a hassle about your due date, but only because I was so worried. So glad JM arrived safely -- he is a wonderful little boy. Love your blog! Will visit it often!!!

Anonymous said...

Um you know they have figured out what causes all of these children? You are my hero!

~Genuine

Dollymama said...

Well, Sooz, i think that actually you were wanting to give me a talking to about the due date but I cut you off at the pass. Yes?

Genuine, yes, I know all about what causes the children. We just weren't willing to give it up. :) We love having 6 kids. Wouldn't give any of 'em back for anything.... Thanks for the heads up, though.

Anonymous said...

(Ha, it's Karyn again). Thanks for answering my questions. I think it's wonderful that you had the fortitude and strength to trust your body and go as long as the pregnancy needed to last. That is a rare thing, these days. I look forward to reading more on your blog. (BTW, I tried blogrolling you on my blog but I can't get the url to work right - when I try to edit it on blogroll it looks fine but when you click it from my list it is messed up :( )

Dollymama said...

Well, thanks for *trying* to blogroll me! I'll get yours added over here pronto.....