Monday, May 21, 2007

Kids...They Never Stop Surprising Me

Yesterday my almost-9-year-old asked me if we could go to the library so he could get some books to read. I mentioned that we have tons of great books right on our shelf that he could check out. (Apparently he did not realize that we had books that might be of interest to him)

A few minutes later he comes upstairs with a book about Hudson Taylor (famous missionary to China) that was given to my husband by his parents in 1978. (Same age as my son is now) He dug right in and started reading, and is now hooked! He's been going around with the book, periodically telling me what page he's on, sometimes reading a line or two to me in his stilted stop-and-start outloud reading voice of a second grader, or tells me things like, "So Hudson said that God told him to go to China, so he's going to GO!"

This is the child that a year ago seemed like reading was never going to click. And here he is picking a random book off the shelf and gobbling it up. Too fun. I'm loving this.

(and, yes, I'm thinking of all the awesome Sonlight books he might be reading new year if we homeschool......)

7 comments:

Marilyn said...

Aww!!!! I can remember reading that book as a child myself. I was so impressed with Hudson's faith and obedience to God's call. May our little boy be equally impressed and obedient to God's call in his life!

Anonymous said...

Awww, I love when kids get into reading.

Mimi said...

I have a reluctant reader who is the same way - "there's books in our house I may enjoy?" I don't know what he thinks they are for - decoration maybe?

Anyway, whohooooo! The book sounds good.

Marilyn said...

I can remember reading the same book as a child. I was so impressed with Hudson Taylor's faith and obedience to God's call in his life. I pray that the impression made on our little boy's heart and mind will remain and that he will have strong faith and be obedient to God's call in his life.

Unknown said...

That is so wonderful that he is not only reading the book but getting into it! It is amazing when they choose the book themselves how much they would like to read it than when the teacher tells them too!

Amber Bishop said...

We named our third child after Hudson Taylor. I love your blog! Thanks for making your voice heard!

Amber Bishop said...

We named our third after Hudson Taylor. We love your blog:-) Thanks for makin gyour voice heard!