Friday, August 11, 2006

Cheese: My success story for the day



Today was grocery shopping day, and I had one of those little Thrifty Homemaker victories that make me smile.

As I rounded the end of an aisle at the store I noticed a little handwritten sign that said something about cheese on sale. This is not the space where cheese normally is, and not a space where they normally have anything I even consider buying, so I am used to walking right past. I did actually walk past, and then as the sign registered in my brain I backed up to see what the deal was.

In this section there were 2 lb. bags of shredded Sargento Mexican blend cheese, 1 lb. Kraft mozzarrella slices, cheese sticks, and other cheese packaged like you would put in a lunch box.

And just GUESS what the prices were!

Go ahead. Guess. I dare you.

The 2 lb. shredded cheese was $2, and the other items were $1 each!

Do you hear me?!?!?

I stood there in a stupor trying to figure out if I had missed something obviously wrong about this cheese. A store employee was finishing up stocking items there. He said to me, "There's nothing wrong with any of this stuff, you know. It's not even near it's expiration date. We just got too much of it in our shipment and need to get rid of the extras."

So, basically, the same items were over in their usual resting place at full price, and these extras were marked down to dirt cheap.

Needless to say, we are now very stocked up on cheese. I spent $23 and saved probably $50.

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

You've got those "special" genes that let us smell a bargain!!

Truth said...

Woohoo! I love when I find bargains like that. Sounds like you were one of the first ones to find it too.

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I do love a good cheese sale! I always stock up when it's buck-brick time in the cheese section. Sometimes the grocery store here will get an overstock of milk, and they sell the extras for $1.49/gallon.

Mimi said...

Cheese freezes well, as I'm sure you know.

Congratulations on the bargain!