Monday, April 24, 2006

Playing Catch Up

So you've suffered through a week of nothing new here. At least the two posts I last wrote were meaty! This one won't be, but I can't bear to leave you with nothing fresh any longer.

Last week I had a huge brainstorm about the ebook idea I've been mulling over. I finally had a great revelation about what to write! So I've been working on that and of course that's been exciting.

I did some house projects such as switching the contents of two closets.

We also watched the Duggar family Discovery chanel specials (all 4 of them!). Someone was kind enough to copy the programs and send them to me on DVD since we don't have TV here. The Duggars live in Arkansas and have 16 children. It was interesting to watch the shows, which featured various aspects of their life and managing so many children, and also the project of building their new home. I was somewhat skeptical about how I would like what I saw, mainly because it's hard for me to imagine parents being able to really do well with so many kiddos. While the shows did convince me that this is a very sweet family and that the parents have done a spectacular job of training their kids, it still looked a lot more institutional than I would like for my own home. For an individualist like myself, the thought of every child having to learn to play violin and piano and not getting to choose an instrument on their own, or having to basically wear a uniform just doesn't sit well with me. I understand that it would be really hard for such a large family to have room for much individuality in some areas, so I'm not faulting them. Just saying that it would not be something I would like. I guess that's why they have 16 and I have 6!

My kids loved watching the Duggars, and afterwards they were filled with the revelation that we don't have any babies here any more! There was a cute discussion at the dinner table about how the kids think that we need another baby since our "baby" is now 3. It was nice to know that they enjoy their siblings and would be happy with another.....but I don't think that's likely to happen any time in the near future. We will have to press onward without baby swings, diapers, breastfeeding, and pregnancy misery for awhile more. I think I can handle that.

Speaking of my "baby," we got the final word last week that he has qualified to attend preschool next year. He is SO thrilled and asks every day if Today is the day he can go to school. Poor kid has to wait til August, which will probably seem like a long time for him.

My kids get out of school in less than a month, which seems like a very short period of time! I will have to mentally gear up for the summer fun that awaits.

We finally got some plants in our garden, so we aren't just looking at weedy patches of dirt any more. Now we have lettuce, spinach, several kinds of tomatoes, red and yellow sweet peppers, and broccoli growing. Yay!

I watched the movie Yours, Mine, and Ours the other day. It's a remake of an oldie-but-a-goodie. It's very cute and fun and I liked it a lot better than Cheaper by the Dozen. It's rated PG and that was nice for a change. I like being able to watch movies with the kids and not worry about what they are going to see and hear.

I also watched Elizabethtown, since that's in Kentucky, you know! I don't like Kirstin Dunst very much, but suffered through it any how. I can't decide if I liked it or hated it. The thing that's keeping me from being sure that I hate it is that there were some very funny surprising moments in this movie, and the one thing I love more than laughing in a movie is being surprised. Seriously, some of the stuff is just. a. hoot. There was a memorial service in the movie that was very close to something that I'd like. A live performance of Freebird is really a pretty cool thing for such an occasion, don't you agree? I told my husband to make a note of it.

Plans for the coming week include more home projects, more ebook work, more laundry, more reading lessons for the 7 year old, more mowing of the grass. Very. Exciting. Stuff. (Don't hold your breath for many fascinating blog posts.....)

3 comments:

Speckledpup said...

have you read the Gilbreth books "Cheaper by the dozen" and "Belles on their toes"

You'll have to find them at the library I'm sure, cause they're old...but great.

Also if you haven't read the Helen Beardsley book "Yours, Mine and Ours..." Neither movie does the real story justice.

Dollymama said...

I have read Cheaper and loved it (was very disappinted in the Steve Martin version of the movie, though), haven't read the others, but will see if my lib has them. Thanks! I love book recommendations!

Mimi said...

I didn't know that Helen Beardsley wrote a book, I shall track that down.

I also loved "Cheaper by the Dozen" and the sequel. I made my older son read CBTD before I took him to see the remake.