Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Planning an outing, and a few other things

Most Saturday nights I have a group of people from my church that I meet with, but this coming Sat. is not a meeting night. My husband will be working, and normally that means I'd just stay home. However, I figured that I'd probably be in great need of a break (because, when am I not?) and scheduled the babysitter to come over during the usual time.

Now I'm plotting what it is that I'll do during my break.

In some ways it's nice to get away alone. You can go where you want and do what you want without being nice to someone else who may or may not want to do the same things. On the flip side, it can be a little lonely and make you feel a little bit loserish to sit at a restaurant all by yourself. Know what I mean?

I've actually started making myself a little list of things that I would like to do. So far I'm planning to:

go shopping for a few clothing items,

look for a book for my daughter about growing up (something that covers pubery and body changes, but doesn't give tons of details about sex--any recommendations?),

and go see The End of the Spear. (yes I've heard about the " controversy" and yes I'm going anyhow)

It's a more exciting night out than I can usually manage to plan, so I guess it could be said that I'm moving in the right direction. Now if I could get over the feelings of guilt that I have for spending money this way, I'd really be doing well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other late-breaking news, I'm starting to chicken out on my plans to take belly dancing classes! You see, earlier when I got this idea into my noggin, I thought it was just a one-time thing on a Saturday. Now I find out that either they changed the plan or I misunderstood, because it's actually a once-a-week class for a couple of months, with a big belly dancing recital or something at the end!!! OH LORDY YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

When I thought I would take the class I was planning on wearing comfy pants and a t-shirt. Just recently it occurred to me that they may actually expect me to *reveal* my belly....and, well, let's just say that this simply cannot happen.

Now, I know there is probably somebody out there that would say to me, "Oh don't you worry about it! There will probably be 300-pound belly dancers there are you will look positively petite in comparison!" Yeah, well, that argument doesn't work for me at the beach, and it doesn't work for this either. There is no. way. that I could consider doing this recital business in "traditional belly dance costume" as the class description reads. I'm sorry, but this belly has no business seeing the light of day.

So, I don't know what's going to be the outcome. I don't think it's even possible for me to attend the classes because of my husband's work schedule. And, you know, I really wanted to be able to add "bellydances" to my list of hobbies and interests in order to further my preferred style of being a human paradox. What's a girl to do?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In my quest to see if I can get some alone time at home, I took a baby step today by actually *asking* a person that does childcare in her home if she might be available for this. She is going to get back to me about it.

The first step is always the hardest, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 comments:

~B said...

What is the controversy over that movie, I live in enough of a cave that I am not tuned into that, so could you fill me in on that? :) Also, how old is your daughter? If she is an preteen, I think that there's a book out there from DObson, called: Preparing for Adolensence (SP?) and I got my kids that four book series from CBD.com, I think that it's called: God's Design for Sex (Book 1: The Story of Me, 2: Before I was born, 3:What's the big Deal, 3: Facing the Facts. I feel that for my ages of children, that book two was a bit graphic for after the couples gets married, so I used different ways of explining that page, but the rest of the book was awesome. GOod Luck! ~B

Speckledpup said...

BELLY DANCING!?!?!?!?!?!
Omigosh! You ARE brave.

Good for you to keep the babysitter coming.
ENJOY
AM.SO.FLIPPIN.JEALOUS.

Heth said...

Just get a belly dancing instructional dvd. That's what I did. It's HARD. Seriously. I suck at it.

I am so jealous of the girl on the dvd, she is awesome. I just don't think my hips will ever shake like that, at least not intentionally.

Heather Hansen said...

you could not PAY me to show my belly.

~B said...

People would PAY me NOT to show my belly. HAHAHA, sad but true!