Friday, July 27, 2007

A Little Drama

Well, yesterday I got to cross one more item off my list...I went over to the elementary school to pick up some paperwork and let them know that two of my kids won't be attending next year.

And then, just what I knew would happen, happened.

My daughter saw the class lists on the wall. And of course, she had gotten the teacher she wanted, and her best friend was placed in the same class.

And the tears began.

She managed to pull herself together while we ran a bunch of errands, but by evening she was ready to talk. "I changed my mind! I want to go to school!"

After a good little discussion with her it was revealed that her motivations for wanting to ditch her homeschool plans were....pretty lame! Mainly stuff about friends, and how she was willing to suffer through all the negative aspects of being in school all for the joys of eyeballing her buddies all day long.

I listened carefully, since it seems discussions with 11 year old daughters require ninja-like stealth to get through without causing the girl to burst into tears and declare you unfit for conversation.

Eventually I was able to ask her about the many *very good* reasons she had given me for wanting to homeschool, and pointed out that any time you make a big decision you will have some doubts.

I had to go give the little boys their baths, so she had some time to think on her own. Proving herself to be the smart little cookie that she is, she had already come around by the time I checked back in with her. Thereby saving me (and her daddy) from having to break the news to her that she *is* going to be homeschooled next year, even if she objects. :)

1 comment:

Amico Dio said...

Congrats on your decision to homeschool! I think all of our little ones go through this type of situation. I know mine did. In fact, I still have one who insists he wants to return to school. I went so far last year as to sign him up just so he could get a taste of what it was like again... he refused to go on his first day! :o) I was happy to renig on his admission!

Blessing to you as you begin this new adventure!