Friday, July 13, 2007

It's kind of terrifying, actually, to ask people to pray for you. Especially when it's about a potentially hot-button issue of "Should we adopt more kids when we already have six??"

Today was my day to start asking a few select real-life friends to join us in prayer about this issue. We don't feel like we want to just walk into church and ask everybody to pray about it yet. The potential of people's off-the-cuff reactions (whether positive or negative) feels too heavy to deal with right now. Emotional reactions to the issue of adoption are pretty common.....we've got enough emotions of our own without inviting a bunch more.

After sending out the first "please pray with us about this" email today (to our pastor) I just about burst into tears. I was gripped with fear that they might eventually say to us that they don't believe God wants us to adopt. What if everybody tells me that we're nuts, lowsy parents to the kids we have, and that nobody wants me bringing a bunch of orphaned children around?

Writing it down like that actually helps....because I see the fear for the nonsense that it is. I guess it's just terrifying to try to sort through hearing from God and hearing from everybody else. And when your heart feels like you need to do something, it wouldn't feel too good to have the doors close in your face. Especially when your mission has the potential to save lives....

When trying to unravel my thoughts and desires about adoption, it can be tempting to over-analyze. You can out-think yourself about just about anything if you work at it long enough. When I think about what the Bible says about God's heart for orphans, I have to ask myself, "Why on earth would I doubt that God wants me to do what God's Word tells me He wants done?"


7 comments:

Mimi said...

Lord have Mercy, Lord have Mercy, Lord have Mercy.

Anonymous said...

From what I can tell...y'all are great parents with happy children...God wouldn't have blessed you with six beautiful babies if he hadn't known that you could handle it...children are a blessing and if you have the vocation for it I say the more the merrier.

Amber Bishop said...

Dolly Mama, our family supports you! We are considering adoption as well. Please keep us posted. After 3 every one tells me it is seamless to add another into the mix. The olders help the youngers etc. I "babysat a 19 month old yesterday and it was scary how easily she fit right it. Not to mention our kids LOVED IT!

Dollymama said...

Thanks for the prayer support! Encouragement is wonderful, but prayer is essential!

Amber, as a mom of six I will be the voice of dissent that tells you that it is not necessarily seamless to add more kids in after three.

I remember people telling us stuff like that, but when we had our 4th, 5th, and 6th babies born within 3 years of each other....seamless is not a word I would use to describe it. I have half-jokingly referred to that time in my life as "The Baby Avalanche Years." :)

Now that my baby is four I can tell you that things feel much, much easier.

(getting the kids by adoption may be less strenuous--and your mileage may vary)

I'm excited for you to be considering adoption too. It seems like lots of people are getting the same idea. For us, we feel more drawn to older children.

Amber Bishop said...

Yes, us too. At least two or older. We will keep you posted. Our three are 17 months apart so I know what you mean by baby avalanche. I am just now recovering and our youngest is 2.5. I still need to lose those last 10 baby pounds. I will keep you posted on what God is up to in our family life. Grace and Peace to you!

Alana said...

Of course you know our story. Sometimes God DOES seem to say "no".

I will certainly keep you in my prayers, and hope you have a better outcome and zero heartbreak.

Mimi said...

Baby Avalanche, how true that is!