Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Sunshine On My Shoulder Makes Me Happy.....

Day 4, Summer Break

Today, like yesterday, was a wonderful, breezy day here. The temperature is still somewhat low for this time of year, but the sun was shining. I sat outside reading Surrendering to Yourself, the third and final Surrendering book from Iris Krasnow. As Iris challenged me to figure out what I love to do, what I felt was the desire to lay down in the grass and soak up some sun. So...I did! I got a couple blankets, my favorite pillow, and just took a little mini-snooze while the the sun warmed me and the wind danced through the leaves in the apple trees, and the kids ran around the yard. I loved smelling the fresh grass smell and it made me think that I'd like to try out stuffing some mattress ticking full of sweet grass as I remember being described in some Little House book or something. Ah! To sleep on a mattress smelling of sweet grass!!!!

I don't know if I will find my great passions and purpose in life by taking naps (although SARK seems to think napping can help our creativity grow!), but I know that as I lay there on our hill, squinting to change the shape of the sunlight coming through the blanket that I had over my head, I felt very peaceful and could remember doing the same thing as a child. I was able to distance myself from some recent financial stress that has been plaguing me, and to feel that my life is good and full as it stands, with or without money. Although I'd like to always pay every bill early or on time, to have a nest egg of 3-6 months income "just in case," to be out of debt, to know how every need will be taken care of........what I do have is so much more than so many others. Even more than many people who have all the financial security that I do not.


I have a husband who goes to work and comes home and plays with the kids and tells me I'm beautiful and is committed to this family no matter what.

I have 6 healthy, happy children who love each other and their parents

I have a house that I love, and a wonderful, fabulous back yard

I have a best friend that is the rare kind of friend that will hang in with the friendship through over a decade of highs and lows and changes and personal growth that is sometimes spectacular and sometimes painful

I have a wonderful, amazing mother who is also my very close friend

I have two siblings that I love and enjoy

I have the knowledge and skills that allow me to stretch a dollar, keep my family healthy or help them back to healthy most of the time without needing a trip to the doctor, teach children, help myself learn things I need to know, and to be content in most circumstances.

I have faith in God, that helps me accept the things I cannot change, to hang on when things seem unbearable, and to remember that my life and everything in it is for a purpose that is greater than any of the parts of it.

It's a good life. Maybe a little time in the sunshine will help you too. :)

No comments: