Friday, March 18, 2005

Supermom is on the run!

Well, I've been a busy little Supermom's in the past few days. My brochures came in and so I got on the phone and got in the car and started driving around to tell the world about Supermom's No-Lice Advice and No-Lice Products. I'm thinking that one of my more important business supplies will be a brown paper bag, so that I can breathe into it when I start to feel a little panicky about whether or not people are going to buy my wares.

Of course, I know I have a good product and that there is definitely a need for it. But, until I see those sales coming in, I think I'll be feeling somewhat nervous.

I've actually had very positive responses from almost everyone that I've dealt with. Day cares and preschools have been the best. Schools are proving to be trickier because everybody is worried about legal liability. The teachers, nurses, and principals seem to love the idea of the products, but I don't know whether or not I am going to make it past that point.

My last meeting of today has put me in need of some regrouping and recovery. I went in to talk with the superintendant of my own school district. He's a big, imposing-looking man who assumed a kind of grouchy look and posture as I told him about my products and what I have to offer. He didn't so much as nod, smile, gesture, or flinch as I spoke, which was kind of unnerving. Once I wrapped up what I had to say, he started asking me, "Is this FDA approved?" and of course the answer is no because this item is neither a food nor a drug and the FDA does not regulate herbal products. (Plus, you know, WHAT A JOKE! As if the FDA's approval of something guarantees that it's safe! yeah, right....) At this news he was incredulous. "Well then who approves it?" I told him that no one approves it. It doesn't have to be approved. He was like, "Well, if you put cream on your skin, it's been FDA approved!" and I told him that no, the FDA does not approve skin cream or vitamins or most of the rest of the stuff you use every day, and that as far as I know there is no approval agency that goes around approving things. This was hard news for him to take. I was able to think on my feet by noticing the hand sanitizer on his desk and I asked him if I could look at it. I read the back and pointed out that all it contains is directions, disclaimers (Including instructions to call Poison Control immediately if ingested--and I pointed out that we use this in every classroom at the schools every day, to which I did get a nod and chuckle), ingredients, and manufacturing information. So, see, sir? It isn't FDA approved. Furthermore, we have no proof here that it works. We can't see those germs! How do we know that it even kills germs? (Obviously, the company making hand sanitizer has probably put a bunch of money into proving that it works and that it is safe.)

It was kind of hard for him to wrap his mind around the idea that I make this myself. He actually said to me, "Well, are you just a mother?" I said in a humorous tone, "Yes, just a lowly mother of 6 children! Just a mom, that's me." I let him feel like a jerk for that for a few seconds before I explained to him that I am also studying natural health, which seemed to give me one bit more respect over being Just a Mother. (He said he meant he wondered if I was a scientist or something. It went something like, "Well, mothers are all well and good and everything, but....")

So, anyhow, he asked me all sorts of questions, bemoaned the legal ways of the world these days, and said that he felt that it would be too risky for the school to even pass out the information as an FYI because somebody out there might decide that their Johnny got some terrible allergic reaction due to my spray, and then go off suing the school district and me. Which I realize is a distinct possibility and I can completely understand if the schools think that is too great a risk. But, it seems like there should be some sort of legal disclaimer the school could make when giving out the information that could cover them AND allow the parents to learn a better way to play the lice game.

I'm proud of myself, because although it felt very uncomfortable to get that initial NO from this man, I was able to continue to talk with him, respond reasonably, not shake when holding my papers, address his concerns, and he ended up talking himself into keeping the information and checking with his attorneys to see what they would say (Which he predicted would be a resounding NO). He was able to tell me that he knows there is a huge need and he would love to get this information out to parents. That's something, anyhow!

So, I suffered through my first direct possible rejection and I survived it. Yay me!

Now I need to get over it (deep breath.....deep breath....) and focus on the many other very positive contacts I made, the sales that were organized and will take place next week, my new and improved Supermom's web site that is up and running, and all the other blessings in life!

I also want to tell you that although it took me nearly a month of frustration trying to get my Supermom's site up, I finally found a WONDERFUL blog designer who has done a GREAT job for me. She has done an excellent job of helping me put my little blog site together, she's been a very good communicator, and has worked fast. She also has great prices on both the design, banner ads, and lots of other extras that she can do.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

Way to go with the standing up for your self. I was just in tears with a collection agency person who was being nasty to me because I can't force a friend to call her back. I wish I had your cool.

Dollymama said...

Ha! Yeah, I wish I had my cool, too. I'm SO cool that I've been practically developing an ulcer ever since Friday over this. I may have been cool on the outside, but I don't deal well with such things on the inside. (sigh)

With the phone people, just remember:
1. You can hang up. (works great!)
2. You can tell them to cease and desist from calling. Once you do that they are legally obligated not to call.