Tuesday, March 08, 2005

A little bit o this and a little bit o that..... (everybody chicken dance now!)

Today my 12 year old son Sullen got the education he needed about online safety. He plays an online game called Runescape, which we felt was basically safe. He has worked and worked at building up the riches and power of his little runescape character. And today, what happened? Somebody suckered him.

It was easy, actually. They told him that they had some awesome cheat codes that they would share with him if he would tell them his passcode.

And he did it.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT???

First of all, it's against the rules at Runescape to use any cheat codes, and we went over that with him when he got the account.

Secondly, he supposedly understands not to give out passcodes or other personal information.

These were the kinds of things that made us hesitate to let him get into online gaming in the first place.

And there he is, handing over his actual passcode easy as pie to somebody who laughed their rear off as they skittered away from him, changed the passcode, and ran off with the booty.

Poor Sullen was crying as he came to tell us that something bad had happened. I think he was mainly devastated to know that his character was long gone. Personally, I'm concerned because we had just signed him up to be a member, so we have payment information there. Hopefully the Runescape people have that someplace safe even from someone with the passcode. We have contacted them and hope to get it straight tomorrow.

So, other than our bank account getting messed with, I have to say that I think it's good that he had this experience. He has been so busy acting like he already knew all the online safety stuff.... It's good for him to have a situation that causes him some personal loss, and makes a better impression for the long run.

I'm still struggling to find someone to put together my Supermom's site. My MIA blog designer resurfaced long enough to give me a refund, which was great. BUT SHE WASTED 3 WEEKS OF MY TIME! Now I'm a week away from seriously selling, and I don't have the site ready to go. UGH. I have some inquiries going right now, and my dear sister is trying to make sense of my raw ingredients to see if she can help me. Somehow, we're going to have a site up, even if it means it's up with a crappy blogger template and the crappy paypal shopping cart. The show must go on, is all I know.

My adorable and fun baby, Squiggy Magoo, turns 2 on Saturday. It's hard to believe that we're plum out of babies around here! We haven't had that situation in a verrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy long time. Next thing you know we'll be done with breastfeeding, diapers, car seats, and little people in our bed. After that, the sky's the limit! Romantic trips to Hawaii? Not having to pay through the nose for a babysitter? No big bedtime trauma? Oh, the possibilities are quite amazing. But, alas, I think I'll enjoy these sweet little guy days while they last. There's a lot of nice things about little people, too. :)

1 comment:

Meg: said...

Ah, poor Sullen. At least his "loss" this time was time, mostly. I'm sure it was a lesson well learned.

Happy birthday to the little one!