Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Gardener

So there's this man who lives right near the elementary school, and he has the most amazing landscaping/garden going on in the front of his house. His entire front yard from porch to street is probably no more than 10 feet, and he has managed to fill it with amazing, gorgeous plants. The big, luscious ground cover leaves spill right over the yard onto the street in a way that makes you feel like all that beauty is just trying to reach out and touch you. The whole place is just a breath of fresh air, and you can't help but be struck by how lovely it is when you drive by. (which in my case is about 4 times a day)

More interesting than the garden itself is the gardener. The man that tends to these plants so faithfully is probably at least 6'4", appears to have a shaved head, goes without a shirt most of the time. This reveals his very fuzzy red hair on back and front, and some pretty large and interesting tattoos. He is a rather fierce looking man, and his nose ring (a big hoop that goes through the middle of his nose, like a bull ring) and earrings and nipple rings add to the look.

And there he is in all his huge, fierce, tat-and-body pierced glory, living across from the elementary school in a small Kentucky town, tending to this magnificent garden decor, and sometimes walking his small doggie.

Really, he fascinates me. I enjoy it when I can manage to be a little bit of an enigma, but this guy seems to have really gotten into the spirit of it! I've been thinking for awhile that I would like to hop out of the car someday when I see him working in his yard and introduce myself and thank him for making his little spot in our town so beautiful. I've considered taking him a card or a gift certificate to a garden catalog or shop. What I think I've settled on, though, is a note and some homemade banana bread.

In the book Bless and Be Blessed the author talks about the importance of telling people how you feel about them while they're able to hear it. (rather than saving up all those nice things for saying once somebody's dead) There have been many times in my life that I've made a point of doing that, and I can't help but think that this intimidating-looking man who apparently loves small dogs and lovely plants is offering something really wonderful to the people of this community, and I want him to know that we appreciate it. I have to pick up some more wheat so I can make my bread the best way, so it may be a week before I get to it. (and then the trick is catching him at home and working outside while I have fresh bread with me in the car!) I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it won't be too awkward.

Oh, and for those of you that are worried that he may think I'm flirting with him, I'm pretty sure he's gay, so no worries. (NO, I don't think he's gay because he likes to take care of plants! I'm pretty sure he lives with another man. That's all.)

No comments: