Friday, March 02, 2007

Earned that Good Mother Badge, Two Weeks in a Row!

First of all, welcome to all the new visitors from the Ultimate Blog Party! Come on in and poke around the archives to get a feel for Dollymama Strikes Again. While you're at it, why not take a meander over to my business blog too.

I've been sick for most of the week, though I don't think it's strep. Seems mainly like a cold, with general aches, tiredness, sneezing, and so on. Today I'm feeling slightly improved and thought I might even get over to the fitness center for a short workout, since I haven't gotten to go work out for a week.

Yeah, well, I got a work out, but not the one I bargained for!

Last week I agreed to attend my two kindergarten son's field trip, which was a walk from the school to the library to celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday. My little guys were SO excited that I was going to come on their field trip, and I didn't want to let them down. I decided I was well enough to go, even though it didn't sound like a ton of fun.

Once I started getting ready my almost-4-year old son asked if he could come along on the field trip. Since he doesn't have preschool today I figured he might as well go with me.

Just as I started to get ready, my firefighter husband got called to go to a house fire. Off he went in our only car, and I was left to figure out what to do.

Just skip the field trip? (But my boys would be so disappointed!)

Call somebody for a ride? (Who would I call?)

Walk to the school? (It's a little farther than my normal workout, I'm still not totally healthy, I have my preschooler to consider, and the stroller is gone with the car...)

OK, so what I finally came up with was that I could walk to the fire station (1 mile away) and get our car, and go on to the field trip.

Now I was on a real time crunch. I was trying to remember how long it normally takes me to walk a mile, and then figure in the fact that I haven't had a workout walk for a week, I'm sick, and I'll have my 43 pound son piggy back riding on me. Oh, and it's all uphill from here to the fire station.

No Prob! Anything for my kids!

So I hurried to get my wild mane of hair under control (hasn't seen a straightening iron for days), get some clean clothes on (I guess I can't really stay in my PJs for this event, can I?), get my little buddy bundled up, and off we went.

By 5 minutes into the walk was seriously wondering where my common sense had gone. There was a cold wind, my weakened state of physical illness was feeling very obvious to me, and I could not imagine how I was going to be able to walk fast enough to make it to the field trip in time, though I knew it would be ok if I just met up with the kids at the library.

Well, I'll spare you all the details except to say that we eventually made it to the car, made it to the field trip (the kindergarteners were walking out of the parking lot), went to the library (where we were bored out of our minds listening to a **20 minute long story** which is waaaay too long for 5 year olds.....and 35 year olds....), and walked back to the school. By the time it was all said and done I felt shaky and weak, so high-tailed it back here for some lunch and rest.

But at least I was a Good Mother!!! ;)

15 comments:

Mimi said...

Good job, mom!

My Trendy Tykes said...

I found your blog through the big PARTY!!

I hope you get to feeling better real soon.

Linda

Lissete said...

Visiting for the party. Nice to meet you! Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

The things we do for our kids! What a great mom you are!

Happy Blog Party Week!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I love the title of your blog. So creative!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You should be mother of the year! That was so great of you to do.

Just stopping by from the Ultimate Blog Party and wanted to say Hi. I'll be back again during the week.

When you get a chance, please stop by and check out my book giveaway.

Aloha!

Anonymous said...

Coming through with the Ultimate Blog Party, thanks for sharing your site with us! Love the layout!

Hope you are having a great time!

Monkey Giggles said...

Swinging in for the Ultimate Blog party...Nice to meet ya.

Have a great party week

PARTY ON!!!!

Monkeygiggles.blogspot.com

Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) said...

I love your sidebar introduction to yourself. It's one of the best I've seen.

Jen said...

Oh the things we do for our kids! I hope you're feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

Just cruising by the party blogs to say hello. Nice to meet you.

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

good for you girl!! It is soo hard to be a mom when we are sick! There outta be a law that we CAN'T get sick! During this pregnancy (and my last unsuccessful preg) my son has watched WAY too much tv as I desperately try to get off the couch and parent!

so glad you are partying despite feeling so sick though! :)

The Estrogen Files said...

SUCH an excellent mom! Hope you're feeling better soon and happy party! I love the header on your blog. I'm avoiding search engine optimization myself... Come visit The Estrogen Files sometime!

Unknown said...

Stopped in for the blog party. Thanks for visiting my blog as well. I enjoyed your posts and reading your stories! I'll check back in and visit your store as well.

Julie-Anne

Shalee said...

Oh, I hope you're on the mend after all this time. And yeah, it's crazy what we do to see a smile on our kids face... well when they're young. By the time they reach 10 you're like "Life's not fair. Deal with it."