Saturday, March 24, 2007

Crazy....I'm crazy for.....

buying baby chickens on a whim.

:)

We've wanted to get laying hens for awhile now. (years, in fact) I love farm fresh eggs (Please see my hilarious story about Farm Fresh Eggs from my childhood..... Actually, I don't know if it's hilarious to read, but it was hilarious at the time, and still makes me laugh and laugh when I tell it....) and my daughter wants to go into business selling eggs to our neighbors and friends.

Yesterday she and I were out on some errands and came across a pickup truck in a parking lot selling baby geese, ducks, rabbits, and chicks. Just In Time For Easter!

Yeah, well, my daughter got all excited, so I decided to stop and find out just what I would need to do for the chickens. It didn't sound too tough, and they were only $1 each. So, $4 poorer and 4 chicks richer, we headed home to surprise the family.

Now we have a nice little setup in one of our bathrooms for our new pets. We went to the feed store this morning to get chicken leg bands (four different colors so we can identify them since of course we had to name our chickens!! Sally, Angel, Princess, and Tiffany!! What a riot!), proper chicken feed, little feeder and water bowls, etc.

So, hopefully we'll keep them alive and kicking so that I can continue to share stories about

-chickens getting over the fence and annoying the neighbors
-the day our chicken gets killed by a neighbor's cat or a wild raccoon
-how wonderful chickens are and how I can't wait to get 10 more
-how my daughter made a million dollars selling Farm Fresh Eggs

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Also be careful that none of your "helpers" mistakenly place one of the gallon waterers over a poor chick so that you end up having to do CPR on the thing as your mother did only to have it grow up and have a crooked foot and be mean as all get out and attack people!!!