Friday, December 15, 2006

Why I Do Not Homeschool

I was directed to a two-part article on a blog, entitled Why I Do Not Homeschool. (Read the article here and here) Seeing as how I homeschooled my kids for about a decade, and have had one or more of my kids enrolled in public school for the past 3-4 years, I was interested to read what he had to say. He made several points about their decision to have their children in public school that I appreciated and gave words to some undeveloped opinions of my own. It also reminded me of how easily people can become polarized about the issues surrounding the education of our children.

It is tempting for many people to feel superior, defensive, or judgmental about their beliefs. In my homeschooling days I read a lot of "supportive" magazines, web sites, egroups, etc. that all fed me a bunch of extreme ideas about what happens in public schools that I now know to be exaggerations, lies, and isolated incidents. All that this did was cause me to develop sinful attitudes, to become ignorant of facts, and to delay doing what was really the best thing for my children (putting them in school).

The truth is that homeschooling is not always the best thing for kids.

The truth is that public schooling is not always the best thing for kids.

The truth is that private schools are not always the best for kids.

The truth is that other people do not know what is best for your kids.

The truth is that your kids may or may not get a good education at any school option.

The truth is that you need to think, check things out for yourself, evaluate your situation, and pray as you go for wisdom.

The truth is that you will probably make mistakes. Lots of them. Almost all of the time you and your kids are going to be ok even when mistakes happen. So, go ahead and be brave. You all aren't so breakable. Move forward, give things a chance, and see what happens.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: however your kids are educated is a tool. And the same tool is not right for every job all of the time. You may need to change tools or get a new tool every now and then. It's ok. The point is to help your kids get what they need, help your family get what it needs, and trust God if the way to get those things done doesn't seem like the way you thought it should.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I'm learning day by day that my husband and I will make choices for our family together and under God...and that is ok.

Anonymous said...

thank you for the link. Jake is nearing kindergarten age and I'm just not sure what I'm going to do yet.