Wednesday, March 08, 2006

P.S. to my comments post

Less than six months ago a new Walmart opened up about 7 minutes away from my house. I do most of my grocery shopping there, and when I shop I buy two week's worth of food and supplies, which means that I'm pulling two carts out to the parking lot.

I've never had this phenomenon take place at any other shopping place, but 7 minutes from my house it never fails that someone will comment on all the groceries by saying something like, "I think I'd like to go on home with you. At least I'd know I wouldn't go hungry!" (now say that to yourself with a Kentuckian drawl and a big friendly smile and you'll have it about right)

Now, I could just smile and go on by, or be sour and tell people to mind their own business. Instead, I usually say, "Well, it seems like a lot until you know that I've got six children at home to eat it all up!"

People ALWAYS smile and say WOW and how wonderful and often they will tell me some story of a family they know or grew up in that had upteen children and how many batches of pancakes the mother made to feed them all for breakfast or whatever. It's really been fun. People compliment me (and often I only have one or no children with me for the shopping) and tell me to keep up the good work and all sorts of nice stuff like that.

It's a fun conversation, and interesting that the people I shop with are so similar in this way.

4 comments:

jdg said...

You are such a nice person. If someone said that to me I would so want to tell them off.

I wouldn't though (I'd just want to)

jdg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dollymama said...

You'd want to tell someone off because they noticed you bought two carts-full of groceries???? Why?

They're always saying it in a friendly way. I think they're curious. I guess the way I perceive things allows me to think the best about the person.

Dollymama said...

Just wanted to say that the deleted comment was just a repeat of the first one. Dutch didn't say anything naughty!!