Monday, November 14, 2005

Nearly a week with nothing to say.....

What's worse? Coming here day after day with nothing new to read, or coming here day after day with mundane posts of no consequence?

Sorry--I've got nothing interesting, thought-provoking, or interesting to say. I'll bore you instead.

I'm off to find out the results of my 3rd child's learning disabilities testing today.

I am supposed to get a job interview later this week. After the hubby looking and not finding anything to work with his schedule, I am throwing my hat into the working world ring to see if I can bring in some bucks. The job interview is just for a little job at a clothing store that I like. I would enjoy getting out, dressing nicer, and getting a discount on the clothes I already like to buy. So, maybe that will work out. I could get a schedule that would only have me working on the days that my husband is home, so the kids would all be cared for, and I would still have some days at home.

My husband went hunting and brought home 3 deer. Sadly, he forgot that you can't freeze, thaw, and refreeze meat. He put the cut up meat into a freezer, thinking we could thaw it and grind it here at home, and then put it back into the freezer. Uh...no! I only use the venison if it's ground up, so I guess we will have to shift to plan B, whatever that might be.

My kids are now the proud owners of one mouse and one hamster. It totally grossed me out to buy the mouse, with thoughts of Hanta Virus spinning through my brain, but I made it through, and 12 hours later Squeakers is still doing fine. Lay your money down on how long you think these rodents will last. I will predict 2 weeks for the mouse and a month for the hamster.

Laundry rodeo today includes two peed on beds plus one regular load.

Reading:

Feather Crowns by Bobbie Ann Mason. This is my next reading group book, so I am trudging through it out of obligation. I'm about half way into it and so far have been thoroughly bored out of my gourd. This is just like all the crap movies I watch til the bitter end, thinking that at some point it surely must get better....but they never do.

Took my 13 year old to a meeting about the People to People Australian trip that he was nominated for.... $6000 needed..... He would have to raise all of it on his own. Anybody know how a 13 year old could raise that much money? It looks like an amazing opportunity.

That's about the size of it. Must move forth and be productive. Too much laziness of late...and obviously laziness does not make me interesting!

4 comments:

razorbackmama said...

I'm about to share a little-known secret with you.

You can refreeze meat.

I know, I know, they all say you can't, and typically no, you shouldn't because you tend to forget how long it's been thawed. It does affect the quality some, but food safety-wise, if you're quick about it (like in your situation...freeze then thaw and process then freeze immediately), it's OK.

(My dh works for the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service. ;-) )

razorbackmama said...

And, I have to say:

THREE DEER????? Your husband rocks! LOL!

Heth said...

Can I just add an "I'm so impressed". You are a saint for preparing venison. Good job. Personally, I won't touch it, only because of a back experience having it processed, I kept finding hairs. *gag* I grew up eating it, but will NOT prepare it or eat it anymore. I'm a wuss.

Oh, and good luck with the interview. Nothing like a good discount on some clothes. woo hoo!

Dollymama said...

Kirsten--
Thanks! He brought up a similar point. If it was frozen right after bring killed, and we were quick about grinding it and getting it back into the freezer....couldn't we? I was going to look on the internet, but I guess your USDA husband's opinion is better than that. :)

He actually only killed 2 deer, and one was given to him. Could you use some venison at your house??

Sadly, even with 3 deer in the freezer, he will still go out hunting a few more times. He still has 2 of our kids that want to go along....

Heth,
I'm no saint. We just have a good meat grinder, and it's really very easy. Most times I'd rather do it ourselves than pay someone else to process it. (although a few times we have done that) My husband does all the cutting and most of the putting it through the grinder. I do the bagging and putting away. We make a little assembly line of it, and do a lot of yelling to the children, "Get back! Don't touch! Get away from those knives!" I don't think we've ever had a hair in our meat. That *would* totally gross me out!

(Then there was the time when my husband shot a turkey.... It had buck shot all through it....ugh!)

I'm afraid of eating beef (Mad Cow) so venison is the only red meat I will use. My husband's one hobby is hunting, so it works out well. We aren't even done with last year's deer meat. I think we will probably be able to give away quite a bit this year.

It definitely would be nice to get a discount on clothes that I already like. I would enjoy working there. I think the worst part would be having to hold myself back from spending all my paycheck on more clothes. I have lived off a very limited wardrobe for, like, all of my married life, so it would be very thrilling to be in a position to get more than what is absolutely necessary. However, the job would be because we need the money, not extra money for me to spend. (boo hoo)