Monday, October 24, 2005

Movies

Today I watched Kingdom of Heaven starring Orlando Bloom. My short version of my review is :

HUH?!

The slightly longer version is:

If you are a Crusades enthusiast, you may like this movie. For the rest of us, you can find better things to do with 144 minutes of your life.

If you are looking for an epic battle movie, try The Four Feathers, which I think is an awesome movie despite some bad reviews. It's not hard to understand (or at least not if you're me and have watched it a dozen times), plus it stars one of my favorites---Heath Ledger!

The other day I watched Beauty Shop, starring Queen Latifa. It's a fun flick with a lot of good elements in it. Watching Kevin Bacon trying to play Jorge the hair dresser was painful, though. I'm sorry, Kevin, but all I can see is the Footloose guy trying hard to pretend to be someone else. Alicia Silverstone's role as Georgia peach was fairly annoying too, but somehow it worked.

I like watching Queen Latifa because she's sexy and pretty without being a size 2. :)

Awhile back I watched Spanglish, and forgot to mention it to you all. Tia Leone does a fabulous job playing the neurotic, oobsessive, spaz, control-freak rich wife. The character was very annoying, but she pulled it off so convincingly! Adam Sandler, however, seemed like the wrong guy to play his role. He doesn't come across as smart or capable enough to be a famous chef, the wife's husband, the kid's dad, or the love interest of the Hispanic maid. Nope, nope, nope. He's too shmucky for anything other than a silly, shmucky role.

I watched most of Crash again last night. That movie is AMAZING! I just love how it puts all sorts of racial attitudes out for the viewer to sort through, reject, identify with, and wrestle through. It's a top-notch, richly layered story that is not to be missed by those who enjoy such!

I would like to point out that the Crash I am recommending is the one that stars such people as Matt Dillon, Ryan Phillipe, and Sandra Bullock. I have never seen the movie by the same name with Holly Hunter in it.

What movies are you watching?

6 comments:

~B said...

My husband is leading a men's bible study called: Wild at Heart and in the study book it suggests to the men to watch certain movies. So, in the past few weeks we have watched: Braveheart, Legends of the Fall and The Kid. All pretty good movies and all supposed to touch a part of a man's heart. We also watched Vanity Fair (with Reese Witherspoon)~don't bother with that one, we thought it sucked. Now we just got Spainglish and that one movie with Tom Hanks and that woman that's married to Michael Douglas....I can't recall her name, oh well, doesn't matter, but that's my movie update. :)

B

~B said...

Catherine Zeta Jones!~

Alana said...

I have to disagree with your assessment of Adam Sandler in Spanglish. I thought he was great. Just because a man interacts a certain way with people does not mean he's a "shmuck". I found his character to be kindhearted and refreshing.

Two thumbs up for Spanglish: a movie in which adults make the right choices in the end rather than following their passions.

Willow said...

Last night I finally got to see Father of the Bride II. (Yay Netflix. It allows me to see all the movies I've been slacking off for for years, without the embarassment of having to actually physically rent them and be seen in a store with them).

I've also got Swing Kids - hoping to see that one tonight.

I want to see the Batman movie also (Batman Begins?).

Last Girl On Earth said...

Thanks for posting these reviews. I so rarely have time these days to go to the movies, and it's almost a novelty when we rent a film, so I'd rather not waste my time on something I'm probably not going to enjoy. I'll try out some of your recommendations.

We DID go out Saturday night to see CAPOTE. I thought is was REALLY great.

Come on by today for my "Crappy Book Review"!

Dollymama said...

Braveheart: Too gross for me! From the beheading of the wife to the disemboweling of Mel Gibson, I would not watch it ever again. gag, wretch...

Adam Sandler: not sure that he IS a shmuck, just that he comes across that way to me, and it makes it hard for me to take him seriously in a role like the one in Spanglish.

The Father of the Bride movies are some of my faves. So cute!

Would like to know more about Swing kids!

Batman movies never appeal to me a bit.

Last Girl: I did go read your crappy book review and laughed heartily. Couldn't manage to leave a message, though.

One thing I wish I could find again somewhere is a documentary I saw many years ago on PBS that was 2 brothers who traveled throughout the South Seas meeting the people, seeing Kumodo Dragons, observing traditions, and so forth. it really made and impression on me (as you might be able to tell since I am still thinking about it) It went on for probably at least 4 episodes. Wonder how I could get my eyeballs on that again.....